Loaning Out Your Baby - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Red face

Here's a question. What do you say to someone when they ask if they can take your bike for a spin? My answer is usually NO, unless I know they have a motorcycle license, their own bike and experience. Am I being a dick, or just an over-protective fanatic? Lemme know your thoughts...

------------------
We don't know where we're going, but we're making good time!...STC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 11:06 AM

I don't let anyone, unless they have a license and bike themselves. And even then I still pause and think it over. I would never let anyone borrow my bike for a trip or a day. I let anyone ride my dirtbike, it just barely gets scratches if crashed.

Trevor

------------------
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 11:06 AM

I usually reply by asking if I can take their woman "out for a spin"!

Seriously, I HATE when people ask to ride your bike! To me, it's incredibly rude to even ask. Your bike is a very personaly thing, and the potential for someone doing damage to it, even unintentionally, is too great.

If you offer to let someone ride your bike, that's one thing. I still don't recommend it, unless it's someone you REALLY trust, but at least you are the one who brought it up.

But having someone ask you is just plain awkward. It's like someone asking, "Hey, can I borrow $1000 for just a couple of days?", or "Hey, I need a place to stay for a few weeks, can I stay at your place?"

I mean, what are you supposed to say, if it's a friend? You want to help out, but on the other hand, you're thinking -- F*** No!

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 11:47 AM

It depends on how well I know the person and their abilities. I have offered to allow a couple of friends ride my RC 51. It is insured and if it were crashed I would rebuild with some "special things".

I do think it is rude for someone to ask. I have a friendof mine(Jim)that I wouldn't hesitate to hand him the keys and let him ride until his heart was content. He is the only person that I would let do that.

A good answer to the question, that has worked a couple of times, is sure and "I will just follow you on your bike. My bike goes down then guess where your goes?"

BTW mine is fully insured and most of the guys/gals that would ask to borrow your bike, probably do not have insurance on theirs, so the thought of their bike flying off the side of the Smoky Mountains is not an enjoyable one.

Of course the thought of me stomping their ass in a fit of rage as their bike flies off the Smokies is not enjoyable either.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 11:53 AM

Lightbulb

AZ's got the right idea! If someone asks to borrow your bike, then ask to borrow their wife/husband and see how that goes over.

I have only let one other person ride my bike since I bought it & I was nervous as hell that they were going to wreck it even though he has 18+ years of riding experience.

------------------
'97 Cbr900RR Erion Racing Scheme w mods!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 12:17 PM

I may be a PUTZ too, but I don't let anybody ride my bike. My best friend asked to ride it and I said NO! My Dad is the only person to ride it and he came back with a huge grin on his face.

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 12:56 PM

I've let a select few ride my bikes. I've also had the privaledge to ride some friend's bikes.
I've never asked to ride someones bike and actually have never had anyone ask to ride any of mine. If someone did ask I would say no.
I also usally refuse when someone offers there bike to me for a spin.(Mostly because I don't want to return the favor .)

------------------
---SHREDD!
'98 SuperHawk 996
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 01:13 PM

i usualy tell them they got a better chance sleeping with my women then riding my bike, i have 3 friends who i trust my bike with, i know how they ride and how they take care of there bikes

------------------
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 02:53 PM

Red face

I think it's rude for someone to ask that. No one has asked to ride my bike and I probably wouldn't let them anyway. Only my husband, but then I get to ride his VTR, so that's cool.

I have also had people offer me their bikes, but I usually say no, as I don't want to offer them mine. I'm funny about my bike and my car. Don't want too many people's grubby hands (not to mention butts!) on them.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 03:07 PM

Cool

The answer is NO! unless I know the person and their riding abilities plus the way they ride. If they ride like a squid then no. Also if they are on my bike then I am usually on their bike and if they crash mine I still have their bike to ride home.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode