First bike - any suggestions? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2000, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am 15 (will be 16 soon), 5'8", 165 lbs., and on a budget. Because they feel that motorcycling is just another way to get killed, my parents and other relatives are not likely to help me out with money too much. I'm looking for a used bike around $2000 (maybe a little less). Yes, I know, it does sound cheap - but I don't exactly have cash flowing out of my pockets.

Anyway, I have narrowed my choices down to five bikes (I have posted the name of each of the bikes, as well as something I know about it):

Kawasaki 600R - supposedly a pretty maneuverable, all-around street bike.

Honda CBR600F (Hurricane) - good all-around, especially on the street.

Suzuki Katana - heavy but stable.

Yamaha FZR 600 - lightest and best handling of the 600's; also seems to be the most expensive; by the way, can anyone tell me when this bike went into production, because most of the ones I've found are from the early 90's ('92 - '94) and are a liitle to expensive for me.

Kawasaki EX500 - less power than the others, lighter than the others, smaller than the others, its gotten good reviews.

The point of this post is to get votes from some of the more experienced riders who visit this forum. Using these votes, I wil eventually narrow down my choices to two, or maybe even just one, bike.

Thanks for your input. It was well needed.

------------------
Hayabusa ~ 0-60 in under 3 sec / top speed - approaching 200mph
F-22 Raptor ~ 0-60 in under 2 sec / top speed - Mach 2.0+

I'll take the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 09:18 AM

Jackal-

What type of riding will you be doing? Urban commuting, lots of freeway work, or a good mix of both? That might help narrow down your choices. Good arguments can be made for or against any of the bikes you mentioned. I've owned both an '87 Hurricane 600 and a '93 FZR600. So from my personal experience, I can tell you both are capable machines, with the FZR being quicker by a bit, and the Hurricane being somewhat more comfortable.

First things first though. Go take the MSF course and get your license as soon as possible.

If it's votes you are after though- mine goes to the EX500. Easy to handle for a new rider, and decent power as well. There seems to be a lot of them out there, so parts should be easier to locate should you need them.

'cane

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hurricane (edited July 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hurricane (edited July 16, 2000).]
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 10:58 AM

Talking

I had an 89 katana, it was comfortable, had enough power for the street, and for some reason has dual exhaust? With the weight and skinny tire on back, it was tough to pull a wheelie, but it's possible. I think that a friend of mine had a 91 FZR a long time ago. I liked it better than my katana, but I never rode the FZR. That's cool you'll be ready to get your MC endorsement as soon as you turn 16. I got my endorsement a month before I turned 17.

Trevor

------------------

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 11:58 AM

Exclamation

Jackal, don't forget to put a little money aside for safety gear. I've been riding for almost 18 years now and have been down a few times.

As far as bikes go, don't buy something that you would want to upgrade from in a few months nor something that makes you think that you have brass balls

------------------
'97 Cbr900RR Erion Racing Scheme w mods!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 03:48 PM

My first bike was the 600R, I loved it and would highly recommend it. It is fairly fast, quick handling, and comfortable. It will definately give you a feel for all aspects of motorcycling until you know exactly what you need out of a bike and upgrade.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 05:37 PM
Kyle

To answer your question I'd go with the Honda just because it's a good solid bike. The bikes you're getting into are almost if not a decade old so they'll have quite a bit of mileage on them and hence may start breaking down. On a tight budget the last thing you want to have to do is constantly repair the bike especially if you have the work done in a shop.
However, I'm not really an advocate for new riders starting out on sportbikes. This article, http://207.168.125.101/index/features/Small.htm pretty much sums up why I think this way. Anyhoo have fun

------------------
Kyle S.
Got Milk?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Question

I've checked out that web page on the post above. Some of the bikes that it suggests are the old Interceptors, Kawi GPZ550's, and the Yamaha FJ600 (which I think looks the best). The prices on these bikes are low, which I like.

But these bikes are hard to find. And the ones that I have found usually have a good number of miles on them.

So, I've got two questions: First off, how hard is it going to be to find parts for these bikes? AND Are'nt these bikes more likely to start having problems compared to newer bikes? I mean, I don't want to have to start putting money into the bike to the point where it's just not worth the effort.

------------------

I'll take the bike.

[This message has been edited by Jackal (edited July 16, 2000).]
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 07:02 PM

Talking

Interesting article. I can count dirtbikes and mopeds as small bikes, but now I think it would have been better to start on an older bike. I still hear wonders of the FZR400, maybe you could find one Jackal??

Trevor

------------------
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

If I could find one (FZR 400), I would definately consider it. Even though its got less power than the others, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Problem is, they are very scarce.

------------------

I'll take the bike.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 07:52 PM

Just as Colin, my first sportbike was a 600R (1991) It was a great first bike.

When i bought it i passed on the EX500 because i KNEW id outgrow it too quickly. I riode the 600R almost everyday for 2-1/2 years and accumulated over 30,000 miles on it. I never really outgrew it, as i upgraded components as i progressed in skill. By the time i sold the 600R in 1994 i was ready to move on up, but it took over 2 years for me to honestly get there.

I will give my vote on the 600R, and a second on the EX500.

Additionally, VYPIR rode an EX500 before his R6 and im sure he will let you know that it WAS also a great first sportbike. (but i dont wanna speak for him).

Good luck, and remember to Go GREEN..

Ride hard, ride SAFE, but above all else:

------------------
Fear Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode