A great ride! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Well, the Mrs. and I enjoyed a great ride on Sunday, although it was a "chilly" ride as a cold front jump on Colorado Saturday night!!

We headed out Hwy. 24W. to the hamlet of Hartsel, CO. and picked up Hwy. 9S. This is a road of constant sweepers and altitude changes. I know it's not really a pure sportbike road but for the ole 80 GS1100E, it's perfect! Luckly for me, the wife loves to go fast (ok, fast as I can go, LOL) we were running 30 to 50 mph. sweepers at 80+ (Note: I have the old "safety speedo" during the days of 55 mph. on Interstates, the speedo only shows a max. of 85mph.)since there wasn't any bikes on the road, I played cat and mouse with a little Honda sport car for 70 miles, good fun wicking it past the car in the sweepers!

Don't have quite the excelleration riding "double up" so at times he'd pull me in the straights but even with late 70's/early 80's tech., the GS1100E would leave him for dead in the tighter sweepers!

After Hwy. 9 came to a end, it was back home on a high traffic road so we just got into "tour mode" and as usual in June/July in Colorado, we got rained on entering Colorado Springs, LOL. A real nice day!!

------------------
BJ Ondo, "Old Fart"
Colorado
1980 GS1100E Suzuki
"The 1980's Hyabusa"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 04:38 AM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by motorcyclerider:
... although it was a "chilly" ride as a cold front jump on Colorado ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chilly? Cold front? In July? I wish I could say "ALTHOUGH it was 107 degrees on Sunday, I rode..." Uh-uh, my bike stayed in the garage. Some people have all the fun.

Sweating in Houston,

Pete

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 05:10 AM

I rode across phoenix on sunday and it was 107 out, leather jacket, gloves, helmet and all, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do....

------------------
Fear Green.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 06:21 AM

Cool

My dad had a '79 GS1000 for a few years. I had several miles as a passenger on that thing. Acceleration was brutal (at least from what I remember). Wish he still had it but he's too busy to ride with his business. He rode my RR a couple of weeks ago and I bet he wishes he had his back. Anyway, sounds like you had a good day! I'd like to get back to CO to ride sometime soon; I'll be on the lookout for a Suzuki grinding pegs while going two-up!

------------------
"Honey, I fixed the newell post!"
-Chevy Chase
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 06:47 AM

yea, the weather was quite nice.. even though i didnt make it to the mountains this weekend i enjoyed to 60 & 70 degree weather here in town... still a bit cool (for summer) today & loving it.. i almost had to put on a sweat shirt under my jacket for the ride to work this morning

as far as weather in colorado.. i was backpacking 1 summer & on the 4th of july i woke up to about 8-12 inches of snow!

------------------
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 06:53 AM

Talking

My bud and I went to Colorado in '94. We stayed in Denver a couple of nights then on to Canon City(scary place!) and Colorado Springs. It was very weird to have 80- or 90-something temps then see snow when we rode through Estes Park. That was a sweet trip. Will one of you let me sleep on your floor when we come back?

------------------
"You sure do love animals, don't you?"

"When it's cold enough..."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 12:18 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
Chilly? Cold front? In July? I wish I could say "ALTHOUGH it was 107 degrees on Sunday, I rode..." Uh-uh, my bike stayed in the garage. Some people have all the fun.

Sweating in Houston,

Pete

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel your pain Brutha

Also sweating my ass off in Dallas.

------------------
Dave
94 FZR1

"That ain't the way we do things round here boy"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Tigerblade & Other's, there's always a spare room with a smallish couch bed for any one riding thru Colorado Springs that needs to crash and we can throw some sleeping bags on the front room floor if need be, LOL!

Ya, I remember a ride from Southern CA. thru the CA. and into the AZ. desert on I-10 for a BMW rally in 1995. It was 104 degrees and what I remember most is that thru CA. there were emergency phones and 55Gal. barrels of water every few miles. Once you get to the AZ. border, there's nothing all the way to Phoniex (sp?), if ya break down in AZ, "die fast and feed the buzzards", LOL!!!!!!

When we hit Fairplay, CO. for lunch on Sunday, it was 37 degrees with the windchill!! If you ride in CO. come prepared for "any kinda weather" or suffer dearly!!

------------------
BJ Ondo, "Old Fart"
Colorado
1980 GS1100E Suzuki
"The 1980's Hyabusa"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 01:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by motorcyclerider:
Tigerblade & Other's, there's always a spare room with a smallish couch bed for any one riding thru Colorado Springs that needs to crash

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No "crashing", thank you!

------------------
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 07:11 AM

I went on a ride through the great Rocky Mountains yesterday with some friends who work at Apex Sports. We had 60+ degree weather on the way to Idaho Springs, but on the way back it was raining/hailing/foggy on top of Mt. Evans, then once we got back on 24 it was clear skys and sunny. When I got back to my house in Briargate it started to pour rain 5 minutes after I got my bike in the garage.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode