breaking in the significant other... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Just took my girlfriend on a slow ride around the neighborhood- 25mph, no hard leans, no abrupt maneuvers...
She's never been on a bike before, so I took it slow. She was kind of apprehensive, but is willing to go for another ride, as long as I "don't go fast". (but, honey, it's meant to go 130)
Any suggestions as to how ya'll have gotten your partners/spuoses/friends to go riding if they aren't as enthusiastic as you would hope? This sport is a big part of my life, and I'd like to include her in it.
Or I guess I could buy a solo seat, get a high mount exhaust, and ditch the passenger pegs But I like to ride with a passenger sometimes, I find it makes me ride smoother.

------------------
j.------
"breaker 1-9, come on back"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 04:31 AM

Thumbs up

Your doing the right thing, take her on increasing ride lengths and "slowly" add more speed as she get's used to riding. My wife of 20 years had never had any interest in bikes till one day, she got tired of the kids telling her how great it was to ride with dad, LOL.

I just added distance and speed slowly over the next riding season and now she's been a "hardcore" co-rider for 13 years!! She's so good at it now, I gave to reach back and touch her leg to make sure she's still there and unlike other co-riders, that smack the stuff out of their riders when it gets quick time, she leans with me and think going fast is fun..

If you do stupid stuff (wheelies/stoppies), ect. right off the bat, she won't be around long!! Remember, she's trusting "her life" in your hands so don't get over your head trying to stay up with the "single riders"! I've ridden hundreds of thousands of miles since 1976, many alone but the best have been when the Mrs. is working the backseat!!

------------------
BJ Ondo, "Old Fart"
Colorado
1980 GS1100E Suzuki
"The 1980's Hyabusa"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 04:33 AM

Talking

I took my girlfriend on a long ride last year when I still had the F3. She was fine until coming back home on the interstate at night. I think the 80 mph speed next to the turning wheels of a semi truck is what did it in for her-she was scared.

Took her on the RR to watch fireworks on the 4th here in town and she was a lot better. While we didn't go fast at all, she commented that she sits up higher on this bike and being able to see better made her feel more comfortable. It's mostly the lack of control that makes her nervous.

------------------
"Honey, I fixed the newell post!"
-Chevy Chase

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 05:21 AM

Smile

My best advice, having been a passenger, is to take lots of breaks. That back "seat" is not comfy at all (especially on your SuperHawk) and it really helps to have breaks to get off the scoot and move around.

I never had the problem of not wanting to go fast or lean way over into the curves when riding with my husband because I really liked it, but I would think it a good idea to take it easy, progress little by little and basically go at her pace. Ask her what she is comfortable with and go from there. Have fun with her but don't scare her away!

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode