Seriously thinking about getting into sportbiking! Need advice : ) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into buying a motorcycle for awhile as a weekend thing (I just bought a new Hyundai Tiburon, so I'm set in the car dept.) I want to do this right though, and take the Moto rider safety course. Has anyone taken this course? Is it worth it? I really don't have anyone who can teach me otherwise, and I have never ridden before. Also I am thinking about getting a 90 some odd Kawasaki EX-500. I heard that it's a great starter bike. What do you all think, is it worth it to get started into motorcycling???

Thanks!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sportbike newbie:
is it worth it to get started into motorcycling???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a Question! You came to the right place my friend! To answer your question: HELL YES its worth getting into if you do it right. Take the MSF course for sure. The Kawi. EX500 is an excellent starter bike IMO. And welcome to the forum.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 11:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
I agree with kyle 900%, as usual. if you can afford the 94 or so newer ninja 500, go for it. you can tell by the ninja stickers, nice fairing and disk brake at the rear.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited July 05, 2000).]

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 12:11 PM

As usuall, Kyle is da man. If the Tiburon is enough sports car for you, the EX-500 will never let you down. It's not the best, but it is a load of fun. Definately take the MSF course, what you save in insurance alone will repay the cost of the course. And considering we all ride, of course we all think it is worth the time, effort, and investment.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 12:57 PM

TAKE THE MSF COURSE.

That is a great bike if you're not very big. Take your time with purchasing, especially used bikes. Take some one who knows bikes and you trust when shopping for used bikes. You should really consider getting the Kawasaki ZX-12. Just kidding about the ZX-12.

Good Luck.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 12:58 PM

Awwwww! Group Hug guys!

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Question

Me again,

Yeah, anyone know how much that MSF course usually costs? I am in San Diego by the way. Also, I am 6'1" 195 lbs, is that too big for the Kawa EX-500? What are some good begginer bikes for someone of my size? Thanks guys!

Group Hug!

------------------
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 01:50 PM

i took the course 2 months ago. i paid $20 or $25 for the class. it went from 6pm to 10 on friday and 8 am to 6 pm on sat and sun. it was money well spent. i've only been riding streetbike since march. i'm 5'10" and my honda is a comfortable fit. when i went looking for bikes in the spring i wanted to get a bike that i would want to keep for a couple of years. i felt that i would outgrow a 500 in a couple of months. i was looking at 600's when i found my hurricane. for a learning bike the 500 is a excellent place to start. it would be a perfect around town bike. i think that you would find it a little underpowered on the highways or for any long trips. like RCjohn said find a buddy and take him shopping with you. and don't buy an 883 harley

------------------
Blind women think i look like George Clooney
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 02:29 PM

Nash I think you look like George Clooney too. Good advice on the 883.

...Newbie, I'm a little heavier than you(okay, I weigh 245lbs) and I would suggest that you go with something bigger. I learned on a 96 Honda VFR. In my opinion, I think you should look at a later model 600 such as the YZF600R(not R6). You can get one of those used at a reasonable price and it is a proven format for the street. My wife owned a '98 YZF and I put most of the miles on it. It is a lot of fun and had more horsepower than my VFR. It would be a great bike for you.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 04:27 PM

Talking

Hey, Newbie, and welcome to the World of Sportbikes. Guess that's why they call this website what they do.......

I was where you are a few years ago and faced with some of the same decisions you are now facing. I finally settled on a Yamaha YZF 600.....mild mannered enough if you lay off the "loud pedal (handle?)" but always willing to move on down the road at high velocities. It was something that I knew I could grow into. Sit on every bike you can, and find a model that is comfortable for you. Everybody is different.

As others have pointed out, don't go too small or underpowered, because the only thing you will learn how to ride is small, underpowered Sportbikes. Having said that, I can't reccommend anything much bigger than a 750 for a "first bike", since you may very well get easily frustrated just trying to hold the thing up at stop lights.

DEFINITELY take somebody knowledgeable with you to check out any used bikes you want to look at. Unless you know the complete history of sportbikes, or even a particular model, you could get easily burned on a purchase you are stuck with and won't be able to get your money back out of, if you don't like it. I'm sure others have horror stories they can tell.

I can't speak from experience on the MSF course, but everyone I ride with raves about it as a great confidence builder.

Lastly, we are all interested in your progress, so please let us know how you're doing.

------------------
"After all, we ARE professionals, here."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode