Metzeler or Dunlop advice please!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2000, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Hello,

I own a 96'GSXR-750. I got the stock Dunlop D-204s'. I ride my bike maybe 5 hours a month. It's more a showbike. I don't race so cosmetics come into play here. I'm torn between the d-207ZR and the Metzeler MEZ-3 steet tire ot the MEZ-4 touring. The D207 is mabe a bit better but there's that neat look to the Mezs'. Any advice is appreciated. THANKS, Ray-

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2000, 05:02 PM

Lightbulb

Since you say it is more a showbike, why not get the Avon "Azaros". They have a real neat tread pattern. I am disapointed however. GSXR's are not meant to be showbikes, that's what Harleys are for. But to each his own

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 04:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the avons do look cool. dunlops are way cheaper.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 04:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

Tires for cosmetics.. Yyyyyeeaaahhhok.

Anyway.. D207's give the best traction, I
like the look but they wear fast.

------------------
If the front wheel's in the air, Your front tire you will spare.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 06:57 AM

You can't see the tread when the tires moving. Get D207 or Pirelli Dragons for looks.

Trevor

------------------
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 07:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
what was i thinking, it's a show bike. buy some of them shiny as hell dunlop slicks.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 07:08 AM

Talking

To anyone who hasn't actually OWNED a set of Metzler, MEZ3s..Don't think they aren't a GREAT TIRE...I've had D207s and switched to Mez4s, which are the high mileage sport touring tire..I know you are thinking no grip, WELL, you're wrong!!!They freaking stick like glue AND you get alot of miles out of em..My Buddy has the dragons on his TLR, and even HE was surprised after this weekend, just how good the Metzlers are...This was FLYING through Hawks Nest and Monticello, on repeated blaster rides, back to back with us switching bikes for comparison....Don't believe all the B.S hype w/ Dunlop 207s....They ARE a great tire, but definately NOT THE BEST!!!That's a Jimmy G, unbiased comparison...You Won't be disappointed with the Metzler's...TRUST ME!!!
..............Jimmy G........................

------------------
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 12:04 PM

I have never liked Dunlop for one reason, they just don't last. When I lay down $150 bucks for a tire, I want more than 2,000 miles out of it. Of all the tires I have ever put on any of my bikes, I have gotten the most out of Metzler. My mechanic always tells me Dunlop is better, but when I buy the Metzler and don't show up for 8,000 miles for a new one he does the WOW but how did it perform. Well, I'll tell you they perform almost as well as the Dunlops, better even when you consider the $450 bucks I saved in one tire change. If you don't ride like a racer, get the Metzler.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 05:32 PM

Good Evening Everyone-

As a sportbike pilot with 10+ years experience on various Honda CBRs, I've been running Metzeler tires almost exclusively with wonderful results.

My current selection are Metzeler MEZ3s and they're treating me very well. What I find most amazing about this brand is their ability to withstand lots of straightline highway riding, with minimal wear. Feedback is great once your enter the twisties.

Agreeing with what fellow SBW Forum members have stated, the Mezelers provide more than adequate traction while they're in a class by themselves in terms of durability.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

------------------
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Hello my fellow sportbike brothers,

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL WHO ANSWERED!! I'm also a member of 3 other sportbike forums and this is the best for feedback and GIXXER.COM is the worst. My decision is to go with the Metzeler MEZ-3s'. With the design and profile of the tire they will look fatter and I have a 190 on the rear now!! I considered the Avon Avaros but well,,from the advice above-the metzeler seems like the the tire to go with. THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME DECIDE!

Ray-

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode