Do the police dicriminate? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

I have read several comments made about some cops pulling bikes over because they're bikes. Do you feel that this is true? If you have experienced or heard about this, do you think there could be something done about cops that behave this way?

I personally feel that some, not all, cops do have there eyes set on sporty-looking vehicles more than not so sporty. I have encountered roadblocks, extra forces, and even heard of entrapment by cops. All this is done just because I have "that type of bike." These cops are totally blunt about their bias as well. I guess equality doesn't apply to the type of vehicle you drive.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 01:55 AM

The word profiling comes to mind.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 02:25 AM

well, I know this has probably been discussed before, but here's my $.02....
My roommate is a State Trooper in MD. He does not profile bikes, cars or people while doing traffic stops, he stops whoever's doing the fastest that he 1)can safely stop and 2)has personally radared, lasered, or paced at too high a speed. He doesn't look for any one type of bike, sporty or not. More often then not, speeding sportbikes are let go (if there's no chance of safely stopping them), because chases are too dangerous.
I'm sure there are those cops out there who have a hard-on for sport bikes or Corvettes, but it's definitely not all of them. Cops do not have quotas per se(they are expected to have a minimum depending on their function, task force, jurisdiction, etc, etc), or types of vehicles they have to stop.
Not trying to defend all of them, I'm sure the situation you've described does happen in some places.

------------------
j.------
"not everyone undertstands house music-it's a spiritual thing, a soul thing"

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 02:30 AM

Angry

I have experienced this three times since I bought my current machine (April 19th). I totally believe that cops "profile" guys/gals on sportbikes. Be it out of jealousy, ignorance, or whatever, they definitely do this, and frequently.

I was pulled over for speeding, which I admit I was going 35 in a 25. The cop walks up after checking my record (clean) and says he could impound my bike for the speed I was doing. He claimed I was going 55 in a 25. I told him I wasn't, but he said he had it on the radar. (my dumb ass was too nervous to think of asking to see it) He said he would be "nice" and let me go with just a ticket for the 55 in a 25 and no court. I could just happily send in my money and be on my way. Yeah! What a dick...

I was pulled over a week later, at night this time, for "not using my turn signal". Thing was, my girlfriend, who was with me, and I both KNOW I used it. I ALWAYS use my blinkers. Anyway, this cop lectures me for 5 minutes on the visibility of motorcycles, or lack thereof, and how important it is to use "all means possible" to be seen...DUH! He then says that it is a law that passengers under 21 wear a helmet. It isn't in Ohio, what state are you from numb-nuts? Funny thing is, my girlfriend IS 21. HAHA!

Last time I was pulled over was yesterday. The cop pulled me over because my girlfriend didn't have a helmet on. He makes some claim about the passenger helmet law again. I just act stupid with a bunch of yessir's and nosir's and sorrysir's. He let me go. He was actually kinda cool about it. Makin' jokes and stuff. Still...there was no reason to pull me over in the first place, you know?

I hate cops...ALL COPS!!! The only good ones are the ones who ride bikes and know what it's like to be constantly harassed! I am absolutely fed up with cops and their dumbass attitudes. Thank God they can't pull you over for giving looks. If they could do that, I'd be in jail for not being able to pay my fines!!!

Ride hard, ride safe...annoy cops when you safely can!!!

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 03:21 AM

Angry

YES!!! They discriminate. Check out my post "First ticket (on the bike)". I weaved (not excessively) around to deep pot holes in my neighborhood and got pulled over. The kicker is that the car in front of me did the exact same thing!!! I followed that cars path exactly. I'm disgusted and plan to file a complaint after I beat the "Dissorderly conduct with a motorvehicle" ticket.

------------------
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 03:49 AM

Arrow

I'm with you on this one. ABSOLUTELY they discriminate!!!

A few weeks ago I was riding with some friends in the AZ back country. It's a Sunday and there are tons of bikes out. Sportbikes and groups of Harleys. We are driving out of Wickenburg on a single lane road. We are packed together behing a line of cars with cars behind us. As we come over this knoll, a cop is sitting there clocking people on radar. We all notice we are going about 50-55 in a 45. No biggy. Just going with the flow of traffic. As we go forward, we are all checking our mirrors to see if he pulls out. He doesn't.

8 miles down the road, here he comes with his lights going. I'm thinking "Well, he's not after me. He would have pulled out. Besides, I was going with the flow of traffic." Nope. He pulls all of us over (5 of us spread out over a 1/2 mile). He tells us we were clocked at 54 in a 45. He "thought about letting you guys go, but then thought 'Na, I'll get em'". He waited a minute, then pulled out and chased us down. Passing all the cars that were behind us going the same speed. Passing the group of 20 Harley guys going MUCH faster (they gunned thier throttles as they passed us pulled over).

Do cops single out sportbikes? Yes. Those friggin AHoles do.

He let all of us off with a warning, including the guy who didn't have his motorcycle endorsement yet. But not after he spent 5 minutes each lecturing us on how expensive insurance is on our bikes and we don't want a ticket and how unsafe riding a bike is and we need to slow down and .... blah, blah, blah... dick.

------------------
- Dan
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 04:30 AM

like I said, some of these guys have a real hard-on for sportbikes/fast cars. I think it's a power trip: "look at me, I pulled over all these fast vehicles, just me, myself, and I"; it can be a jealousy issue: "damn bikers and their fast machines, I'm gonna pull them over, I wish I had one"; an obvious penile issue: "I am so big and bad, I will pull you over and show you how tough I am" (thus giving you the lectures on speed, insurance, safety, blah, blah so you can see they are just so much more knowledgeable and much more of a man than you). Yes, they are out there.

------------------
j.------
"not everyone undertstands house music-it's a spiritual thing, a soul thing"
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 04:55 AM

this is a no brainer... H3LL YES they do... here is a cage story since we all have bike stories.. i was in my nova (bright red, original rally rims.. sweet car), a talon had passed me & i see a cop (im doing a tick or 2 over). the cop smiles & im like cool that dick (talon) will get the ticket. he pulls around me & waves us both over ! WTF.. he said we were racing & he clocked him doing what ever & i was catching him.. yea right. then he said "& w/this car i believe it".

------------------
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 05:22 AM

Arrow

I will agree with you on this one, but remember; it's not ALL cops who profile sportbikes, its the few. I've said it before: Cops are people too just like me and you. There are ALOT of AHole bike riders and even more of the general public gives me no hope for the future, but thats not Everyone, You just have to deal with them.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 05:38 AM

I agree with Kyle J. It's not all cops. Some profile for the point of view. On another forum a guy had just recieved his RC 51 in NY City. He was riding out of town and was pulled over by NYPD. The officer had a big smile on his face and apologized for pulling him over but he just had to see the new RC 51. They talked about their other bikes and I believe the officer even mentioned riding together sometime.

The police in our area have followed me to look at the RC 51 and used to follow me to check out my wife's YZF600Rt hat I had customized.

Asshole squid riders are the reason that we can be profiled. They created the profile in question and everyone that buys one of the tapes, from the Extreme street riding, is just adding to the problem.

Just my $.02

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode