I need your opinion on 916 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
a 916 owner told me that the pre-98 916 have a tendency towards electrical problems.

other than that (which i can testify to myself), i think they are awesome. it's just made it be ridden hard.

the only down sides are;

they are not what most people would call comfortable (if you only ride twisties, it's comfy).

the maint is more costly, but not as bad as non-ducati owners claim.

no 4 banger top-end.

turn-in is heavy with the stock suspension settings (i hear that changes with ride height and the other setting for rake).

but these are pretty mild complaints for a bike that is the ferrari of motorcycles. and yes i pointed out everything bad i can think of so i don't feel to crappy about backing out of a 748 to get a gsxr750.

my .02

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 07:28 AM

Question

Im thinking about purchasing a 916. What do you guys think about the bike? Is it worth the money or do you think there are better bikes out there for the money.

Thanks

------------------
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 07:46 AM

Thumbs up

If you have the money, and the bike is in good shape, I say, "Go for it!"...Out of all the toy bikes, I have, I just can't seem to put down the Ducati...I've learned to appreciate the styling...Never liked them much, before, but they do "grow" on you!!!
............Jimmy G........................

------------------

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 10:45 AM
cheetos

I love the title of this topic. It just opens the door and says "John come on in and take your best shot".

Of course they are not worth the money. A $10000 RC 51 has beaten the non-SP version of even the 996. But let me continue.

Who cares if they are worth the money. If you have the money and want one then go for it. They are awesome bikes. I do pick on Ducatis alot but it is out of fun. I would not buy one even if I did have the money but that's just me.

They do require more maintenence than most sportbikes(except Suzukis ), but if you know a little about them and have the tools, they are fairly easy to work on. Yes, I have worked on 996 racebikes and the streetbike's construction is very similar to the race bike, meaning relatively easy to work on.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 11:07 AM

The RC-51 may smoke it, but it's a Honda, not a Ducati. I agree with cbrf2boy's comments, certainly not the most comfy ride, but the ride, sound, and feel are awesome.

BTW: GOOD LUCK finding an RC 51 for anything NEAR $10,000, the last two I saw that were available were priced at $14,500 & $15,500. No thanks!

------------------
Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 12:06 PM
cheetos

Tahoe,

You are right it's not a Ducati... going on a 8-10 year old body that is shared with the 748. The 916's body style is probably one of the most beautiful ever but it is dated.

I agree with you on the idea of no way on a $14K++ RC 51 it isn't any more worth the money than the Ducati. I have yet to actually talk to any RC 51 owner that gave more than MSRP for their RC 51. Go figure.

Plese read my last post carefully. I did say that if you have the money then go for it. It(916) is an awesome bike just be ready for some maint because as you say it's not a Honda it's a Ducati.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 12:35 PM

The 916 is definately not a "comfy" bike, but then neither is my R6. Of course you notice that these two are canyon carvers. Got to make sacrafices.

The RC-51, and example of Honda's American side. "Hey look its popular; raise the price" Notice we did that with those POS SUV's. People start swalling them up and the price skyrockets.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 02:21 PM

Thumbs up

I think Tony said it best. If the question is "Should I buy a 916?", just be aware that there will be a small increase in maintenance costs simply because it is older and it is a Duc. But trust me, as Tony says, it is not that dramatic.

I simply won't engage in the "Should I buy a Ducati" discussion that seems to be perkelating up here. Not worth the time. You buy a Ducati because it is a Ducati. The handling of even a 1995 916 still is VERY comparable to even the new RC-51. Or else it wouldn't even be close to competing with the RC-51 on the track, where it is actually beating it (where you have good riders, unlike AMA...) Ok, so I did engage, sorry, I digress....

Trust me. If the bike is clean and hasn't had any impact damage, go for it. You'll love it. That assumes you like superbikes of course. If the thought of "strapping yourself on" a bike seems yuccky to you, you may wish to shy away.

------------------
- Dan
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 02:24 PM

Man i wouldnt buy one they are sh*t. J/k. The bike is a pure racer look at how they rule SBK. It was the most flickable bike i have ever ridden and i would smoke most other bikes through the twistes. Boy i miss that think, but i dont miss the maint. costs or my sore wrists.

------------------
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 08:20 PM

Wink

What??? Someone who doesn't LOVE the R1?!

I agree that it's all degrees of like rather than disliking anything. I'm not a sensitive Yamaha person so I'll let those remarks slide this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode