2nd day of "no helmet law" in FL - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2000, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Smile

For the first time I have ever riden a motorcycle I cruised the beach without a helmet! Today was the second day here in FL with the no helmet law passed! Everyone I saw today did not have a helmet... The only time I wore it was to come home on the busy roads! The beach road is nice and slow and good! I would not even want to ride the main roads here (I-95, Military Tr., Indiantown road, etc., etc...) without one on... Yet I did see a few riding I-95 without... But anyways... my little ride was awesome, although every time I saw a cop, I felt a little strange! I just hope people are careful and use good judgement on which roads to wear and which to go without!

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2000, 12:09 PM
6T9

Truly Insane!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever seen someone drop a watermelon?

I hope you guys stay safe.

------------------
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2000, 01:01 PM

Thumbs up

Though I always wear a helmet when "sport riding," commuting, and touring, I do occasionally ride without a mellon-protector. I feal closer with the bike, since I can hear, feel, and see everything so much better - I feel more as if I'm one with the bike. I'll usually make a few quick errands at dusk to the local greasy spoon, and the helmet usually stays at home. Sure there are dire consequences, but then again, everything thrilling has a steep price tag. It's just a matter of personal risk management. Sometimes I'm willing to risk the skull fracture for a breif moment of heightened motorcycling enjoyment. In fact, I'm quite tired of the safety nazis (SN) calling everyone else squids, because the SN's are themselves unwilling to compromise the least bit of safety when it comes to riding. We are our own masters of our bodies, so the SN's should just mind their own damn business. I'm just glad states like Illinois, Indiana, Florida, etc. have caught on to this concept.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2000, 01:49 PM

Those of you that ride without a helmet, I have one thing to say. Ever hit a beetle at 60 miles an hour. Or worse, a wasp!! I will ride with my helmet to go to the jiffy down the street. I can't wait to see my insurance rates go through the roof. In my opinion they should not pay for damages sustained from an accident. Just like they don't pay for damages from not wearing a seatbelt. I think it looks really cool to ride without one, BUT, I won't do it. Please be careful!!

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2000, 08:51 PM

You'll always see a helmet on my head but I am against any law that requires you to wear one. BTW - I hate to admit it but when I do see someone riding w/o the brain bucket my first thought is that they are stupid. But let's not forget that the majority of the public looks at me on my motorcycle and says look at that IDIOT, he's gonna get killed on that thing. Just my .02

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2000, 02:46 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
I think it looks really cool to ride without one
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think just the opposite. Looks foolish to me when I see a rider without a helmet.

------------------
TJ
'98 SuperHawk - no longer scuffed
"Are straight roads good for anything? Yes, they get you to the next curve."
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2000, 06:12 AM

Just before I moved up from Houston, they had passed the "No Helmet Law" in Texas and there were many a person flying around at excessive speeds w/out the proper head gear.... You couldn't pay me enough to ride without my Shoei.... I'm not going to be to impressed with the goof ball that comes into the E.R. crying and screaming b/c half of his face is missing... They will only make my job harder.... One of these day's I'll scan in some pics from a Facial Injury and Reconstruction Book for all who are interested.... It's icky, and I am simply not brave enough to ride with my hair blowing in the wind....

Kirsty....

------------------
"No, this isn't my boyfriend's bike..."
My web site [URL=http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/9025]

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2000, 07:06 AM

Thumbs up

CBRCHICK ROCKS

------------------
Fear Green.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2000, 07:17 AM

I too loved riding my bike this weekend...
The last time I rode a bike without a Helmet was in California in the late 80's when California had no helmet law...Boy could you pickup chicks...I don't know what it is but more people stare now at my bike and me too now...I still will wear my helmet when on dangerous raods. Freedom of choice what a concept...R6 2000 Ride Hard!!!!!

------------------
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2000, 07:41 AM

When I first started riding in the early 80's, I had a crash. I was only going about 10 - 15 mph, less than a block from the house. It was a lowside, and I hardly got hurt at all, but my helmet had a lot of very deep scratches in it from where my head was slammed into the pavement. Needless to say, I wouldn't be here if not for that cheap helmet. While I don't go for the concept of the govt saving me from myself, wearing a helmet is still a very good personal choice. About the only time I would ride without one is somewhere like Daytona or Myrtle beach, where there is so much traffic, you'd be lucky to ever hit 50mph. It would be nice to be riding down the street, see a girl, pull over, and tell her to get on without having to go through the helmet thing, but for 99% of my riding, I'll still wear one.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode