Riding in the Rain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Talking

It's been raining here all morning which made me wonder how you guys & gals feel about riding in the rain. I personally think its kinda fun if it's not a real storm. The furthest I've ridden in the rain was from Nashville to home (about 6 or 7 hours). My front tire was bald from our trip to Deal's Gap/Road Atlanta (spectators) so it was quite interesting.

If this has been covered elsewhere or I'm not in the right forum, feel free to let me know. Have a good weekend!

------------------
"It's better to be dead and cool than to be alive and uncool." -Harley from Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 06:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i didn't mind it until i went down in the rain. now i can eventually get back up to speed, but it takes a few miles to not feel sketchy.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 06:16 AM

i do it only cause i have to. i dont like it much.. but once i relax & realize im not on ice it turns out to be ok. i like the looks people give me "crazy as$ kids".

------------------

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 06:17 AM

I've had the pleasure of riding home from work in the rain a couple of times in the last month. It wasn't too bad...I'm a little skittish on the corners, but other than that, I just tend to allow more room for everything and ride a little slower (70 instead of 80)..
Not that I would want to ride in it all the time, but if I had to its no big deal...
As for gully-washers: forget it...I get off the road and wait for it to pass...

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f**k the prom queen!" - Sean Connery
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 06:41 AM

Thumbs down

I dont like it at all. I dont like going around corners straight up and I dont like cleaning the bike afterwards.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 06:43 AM

I generally ride in the rain with my bike in a higher gear. EX: Instead of taking turn in 3rd, I take it in 4th. This lessens the chance of wheel spin. I think rain?water doesn't have that much effect on going fast on straights or braking. I've gone 145 at the track in pouring rain(no rain tires) and bike still hasn't ever hydroplaned.

Trevor

------------------
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 07:35 AM

Thumbs down

My only comlaint is cleaning the bike afterwards. I'm a neat freak...no bugs or dirt allowed on my baby. My friends make fun of me for it.

------------------
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 12:50 PM

An excellent small book on sportbike riding on real roads and also in the rain is "SPORTBIKING: THE REAL WORLD" available on www.amazon.com

The author is a BIG advocate of learning how to ride well in the rain, he feels that if you can master the handling characteristics of your sportbike on rainy wet corners than you will be very much prepared to handle your bike at 95% of its capacity on dry roads. Good theory.

Its a great , relatively small, concise and to the point book on theory and technique for high performance sportbiking on "real world" roads. Check it out!

------------------
Fear Green.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 08:00 PM

Angry

I don't mind riding in the rain much, unless some A**HOLE in a Buik decides he needs to take the lane noone else is in because it's flooded , and drench my almost dry self. I felt road-rage that day, I was going to pull that F***ER out of his car and drown him in the puddle he went speeding through. All calm now

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2000, 09:36 AM

I kinda like it, it's peacefull riding in the rain. All you here is the sound of rain pelting your helmet, just gotta be carefull not to zone out. I try not to ride in the rain in town though, as people are retarded in the rain.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode