Don't get baited into group mentality! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-1999, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Hi-

I was just recalling to a friend a story that I think is worth repeating in this forum.

About two months ago on a Friday lunch hour, we were blessed with an exceptionally warm temperature. I had ridden my then new-to-me CBR600(complete with wasted rear tire, 12 yr. old rubber isn't fun!)to work. My boss rode his Shadow aero, and two co-workers had their bikes- a new ZRX 1100 and a Harley Super Glide. The invitation came as "Hey, we're gonna ride out to lunch- wanna come?" I thought that would be great on a boring Friday- so I said "Sure."

As the four of us were mounting up, I asked where we were headed. The plan was to take the scenic back twisties out to another nearby town about twenty minutes away. Only the guy on the ZRX was familiar with the roads so he led our motley crew out.

Almost immediately, the ZRX took off- I mean fast. Not to be put off by a "Jap" bike ( no offense intended) the Harley, which is heavily modified, tore off as well. As the first intersection was only like 100 yards away, it didn't seem to me that blitzing through the gears was appropriate. At that first stop, the ZRX was in front, the Harley and I were beside each other and the Shadow was behind us. Sure enough when the light changed, the ZRX screamed off and I could hear the Harley thumping hard. In a moment of stupid ego- I wrung the the throttle back and shot past the Harley, not realizing that the road past the intersection dropped off hard to the right. When I came over the crest of the hill I was already left of center- where a car was coming up the incline. I flicked my bike to the right and maybe stupidly, stood on the rear brake. My rear tire slid- a weird feeling to say the least- and I recovered. By now, the ZRX and the Harley are well on their way to blasting through the twisties- and I'm still trying to unclench my butt. The two guys up front are flat out flying, and I'm trying to keep up feeling certain my rear tire has warned me for the last time.

The Shadow stayed pretty far behind as I'm sure he was just enjoying the ride. We had to keep up though, as we had no clue where we were going. So I did my best to split the difference between the two leaders and the Shadow behind me. I could see the ZRX leaned way over through some bends, knee hovering over the asphalt. The Harley just got pitched over at every turn and hammered out as they disappeared from my view around the bends. We would catch up at stop signs and were heckled- "What's the matter? Don't you want to ride with us?" Of course, they acted like they were riding casually at best.

We finally reached the restaraunt with more of the same- "Guess you Honda riders are too nice for us, eh?" I tried to laugh it off, but it did honestly get to me. I felt like I was led into having my relatively novice skills exploited for mockery. Both the ZRX and Harley riders are almost twice my age and have tons more experience on all sorts of bikes.

On the way back the ride went pretty much the same way. I did find that by concentrating on my lines through corners, I could keep up better without grabbing lots of throttle as often. That afternoon was rough, as I got to hear the story of how the Honda riders were humiliated, repeated to any of our co-workers that would listen. Even now when it gets brought up- I get peeved.

I guess my point is this- ride for yourself and to the best of your own abilities. Don't allow any other bikers make you feel like your manliness or womanliness is up for scrutiny. Riding, and especially sport riding, is a potentially dangerous activity to begin with- no one needs the extra stress of someone atagonizing them.

What I thought was nothing more than a group ride to have lunch turned out to be a group race to have lunch. I also think that it was irresponsible for the more experienced riders to portray motorcycling in a competetive light on the streets. So now, I'm made fun of for having the bike that I do because my current abilities don't match it's potential.

Ride for your own gratification- not anyone else's. We've all got to start somewhere.

'cane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-1999, 07:12 AM

Thumbs up

Good story 'cane, I agree and see the same $hIt all the time. I've gotta go to bike school damn it!

------------------
Kyle- 99'CBR600F4
email: [email protected]

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-1999, 11:30 AM

The original Hurricane still rules!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-1999, 08:27 PM
FIZ

It always sucks when you know that you've been humiliated into riding faster than you feel comfortable........I ride alone most of the time too. Funny thing is that my dad dusted my ass off yesterday........I'm going to penguin this summer.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-1999, 02:04 AM
Pete

Hurricane, definitely a good story with a good lesson. Thanks for sharing it with us!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-1999, 04:19 AM
Founder

Thumbs up

Hurricane,

Great story! I currently ride with a group of about 30-40 riders every weekend. And I see the new guys getting the same rag from some of the other guys that ride up front with me. Afterwards I *always* let them know not to worry about it, and that I would rather wait for them at the gas station on the top of the mountain, than going back down the mountain to pick them up off of the road.

------------------
Robert Basil
Sportbikeworld Admin

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-1999, 06:01 AM
Old Guy

Talking

I rarely go on group rides for this very reason. I would rather ride my pace, enjoying the sensation of wind, sun, scenery, etc. than have the entire ride be a competition. If anyone can find the article on "The Pace", if would be very applicable here.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-1999, 07:32 AM

Thumbs up

Yes, you're right, that article on "The Pace" is excellent! Someone posted it a couple years back on my hubby's VTR mailing list but I don't have a copy. We both read that and really agreed. Although we love to ride, we certainly don't love it enough to die doing it. We ride with some guys from our local Honda-Kawasaki shop and they're the best riding buddies one could ever ask for. They're patient and never push you over your limits. Riding partners can make all the difference in an enjoyable ride vs. a terrifying one!

------------------
Stacia - 95 ZX-6
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-1999, 10:37 AM

Wink

I must say I feel much better after reading everyone's posts. I tend to ride by myself a lot more than I had originally planned when I first started riding. This due to the fact that a lot of guys I have ridden with tend to want to show off in front of each other...and me. I love speed and twisties just as much as the next guy/gal but I also love my body just the way it is. I don't like feeling the pressure of riding with people on the street who think they're on a track. It's not worth it!!!! I'll save the competition riding for the races!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-1999, 11:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
I ride with a group of guys with a very different riding styles, machines, etc.

We always had an unspoken rule. That's why we have what I'll call 'the stop sign rule', everyone rides as hard as they want, you wave faster guys past you, don't pass unless you're waved pass or it's a straight line and pass in the other lane, and don't worry if you're the guy everyone's waiting for at the stop sign, we've all been that guy.

We also never bust balls that someone was slow that day (unless they mention that they aren't riding well). We are such good friends that we make fun of hundreds of other things instead.

------------------
Tony

94 CBR600F2 and 88 FZR400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode