ZX-9R, CBR, FZR, RC51, VFR, GSX-R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Question

Do they mean anything? like, what does the ZX stand for in ZX-9R, or the GSX-R? What does it stand for...? Anyone know? or guess??

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited June 29, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 05:13 PM

Zamboni Xylophone-9 Rambo

Green Smelly X-Ray

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 06:04 PM

Freakin Zippy Racer

(that's stupid,---sorry)

------------------
Dave
94 fzr1000

"Party on Wayne"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 03:01 AM
Pete

From what I know, which ain't much, Zs and Xs don't stand for anything, just sounds cool. V indicates engine type, as in V-four or V-twin. R is for race or racing, G is for Gran, S is for Sport, and F is for Formula(?).

VFR stands for V-Four Racing, VTR is V-Twin Racing, CBR is City Bike Racing (CB coming from the original CB series of street bikes), and RC is Racing Corporation, as in Honda Racing Corp. I learnt dem last two one here on SBW!

Bring on the corrections!

------------------
Pete
-Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited June 30, 2000).]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 05:18 AM

Here is my theoretical analysis on this stuff...

Kawasaki. Gp550 became GpZ 550, the Z was the sporty version which carried through to the Ninja series which used the Z in the model numbers (ZX600) Thus i can only assume that Z stands for "sportbike". In addition to the Z Kawi used "R" to indicate that a particular bike was a bad ass racer, i.e. 600R, 750R, 1000R, (these bikes ripped in thier day). As the AMA racing circuit competition became stiffer these "R" bikes became less and less competitive. So by the time the ZX6 was introduced it no longer carried the "R" designation as it was ANYTHING but a race bike. The ZX7 was introduced with this reality in mind and didnt have the "R" either. Behind the scenes kawi WAS involved in racing though and teh R was reserved for race prepped bikes. By the time we all began to demand a better sportbike Kawi was ready to introduce the near race ready models, ZX7R (later RR) ZX6R and ZX9R, and now ZX12R. Make s sense to me.

Suzuki began the sport/street line with the GS line (GS500, GS750, GS1100) some of these were E models and some were L models. The E models were sportier. These were "Sport Standard" bikes. Big, powerful road bikes that were popular in the day. After the "sporty demand" went through the roof the E model wasnt cutting it, so Suzuki introduced the GS-X models which was the first true "sportbike" from them. We can only assume that GS indictates the "Sporty" line and X means "even more sportier than sporty" The GS-X bikes were very popular but after the FZR yamahas and Ninja ZX models begand selling like hotcakes suzuki upped the anti with the GSX-R lineup whicj was more "race" ready than previous relatives.

Yamaha i have no clue about except the precursor to the FZR was the FZ, thus R stands for a more modern sportier model, (racer?)

Well, this is my take on history, if anyone has any HISTORICAL correction please enlighten us historian types!!!

------------------
Fear Green.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 06:47 AM

I don't think any of you know what you're talking about, because Kyle's '76 Z50RR doesn't fall into any or your jibberish.

TREvor

------------------
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 12:54 PM

hey i said it was my *theory* and thats all it is, aint we allowed to speculate?

Seriously though, if anyone else has ideas on this topic let us hear em!!! It would be interesting to learn somethin about this stuff.

(my jibberish is better than your jibberish)

------------------
Fear Green.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 01:39 PM

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr.TrevorClever:
I don't think any of you know what you're talking about, because Kyle's '76 Z50RR doesn't fall into any or your jibberish.

TREvor

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yaa huh! its a Z (as in fast) 50 RR (race replica!)

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 02:23 PM

Its a honda though and i didnt speculate about them hondas in my jibberishly post!!!

Kyle you need to take some nice pics of that thar machine and post them on here, i mean like mean looking dramatic shots to show how cool that mean machine is.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited June 30, 2000).]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 03:40 PM
Founder

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenNinja:
Here is my theoretical analysis on this stuff...

We can only assume that GS indictates the "Sporty" line and X means
"even more sportier than sporty"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

W00! H00! Gotta love it!

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode