I almost died today...u? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I've had plenty of "near death" experiences, one sticks out in my memory- riding in SE Oh. (of course), I'm leaned over nicely in a 60-70 mph left turn, my tires are near the right side of the lane, so my head is well inside my lane. As I come up a blind rise, a yokel in a 4X4 comes over the rise a good 2 feet into my lane. I did not change my line; tilting my head to the right was enough to (just) miss his mirror. Yikes!

------------------
'98 Superhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 08:39 PM

It reminds me of Indiana Jones & the last crusade, at the end, when Indy has his fingers on the Grail, and his father is losing his grip on him. Sean Connery says "Indy. Let it go." Sometimes you just have to pass on the most tempting situations. The payoff is twofold - 1) It gives you an excuse to turn around and have another go at it, and 2) You get to live. Riding is one of the few times in life that your life is completely in your own hands, as is the responsibilty for that life. If I ever let some damn fool hit me, I'll blame myself for allowing it to happen. Nothing like fear to renew your appreciation of life, is there?

------------------
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 06:47 AM

Red face

Here's one for the "I need to kick my own ass" notebook.

I rode my bike to work today. I work in Cleveland, and there are the Cleveland Metroparks about 5min. away from work. Today, on lunch, I went out to ride and met another rider in the parking lot, asked him if he wanted to cruise, and we headed for the park.

As we entered the park, it was kind of boring, but about 5min. into it the twisties started. Problem: too much traffic traveling the same way we were. Remedy: pass traffic so we can fully enjoy twisties.

I passed all the cars on a straight stretch with no problems, with the exception of one vehicle. I was annoyed because the best turn of the bunch was coming up. Well, as I went to pass the last vehicle, he decided to speed up, causing me to be in the opposing lane going into the turn I wanted to ride thru. Then comes a minivan straight at me. I had to hit the gas and just in time I was able to switch back into my lane mid-turn, lean it enough to hit the footpeg, so as to avoid the gravel on the other side, and correct myself.

This is honestly the first time I have actually felt that I was gonna die. I kept my composure and did everythig right, thank GOD. This is just an example of how unpredictable most cagers are.

I learned two things today, or maybe re-learned.

1- Don't pass people even if you are CLOSE to a blind turn (duh)

2- Don't assume you know what a cager's gonna do.

The dude behind me said I looked like I was in total control the whole time, but I felt a BAD lowside coming. Anyway: If you have any "near-death" tales to tell, let's hear 'em. It'll be a good learning thread for newbies, and a great reminder to all of us "experienced" riders. (although I believe that we NEVER stop learning)

Help me out with this one. I think we'll all benefit.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited June 20, 2000).]

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 06:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Great topic man... There are some good topics
in this thread right now!! Wow!

First of all I'd like say that 1 out of
every, let's say, 5 rides something happens
that I feel I should have either thought
more about what I was doing, where I was
doing it or I should have done what I did at
all. Fortunatley I can't that VERY RECENTLY
I have anything that made my heart leave
my chest... It's has happened though, on the
R1 which means since March of 2000.

Yes, excellent call... Newbies need to know
about these things that more expirienced
riders allready know BUT the more expirienced
rider NEED the reminders b/c we start to
loose the safe atributes newbies have by the
nature of their newness... Intimidation...

On the street, and I say this as a reminder
to myself as well as others... Patience IS
a LIFE SAVING virtue...

------------------
It's nice to have one of the biggest...
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 07:13 AM

It's funny, you bring that up...I saw a guy, last night, come SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO friggin close to eating a tree....He comes down the road in back of my house and lets it rip...Gut went freakin SIDEWAYS around the turn, and bumped the tree, then took off..I don't know HOW he pulled that off...Glad to hear that you are still with us!!!!

------------------
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 07:23 AM

I never thought you could fall asleep on a bike, I mean youre almost sitting upright with wind blasting you, but it can happen. Two years ago I took a long trip, and while riding on I-80 in Nebraska(straight)in the middle of the night I started dozing off. Ended up falling asleep, I woke up when I heard gravel on the side. I rode off in the grass and somehow saved it. So, get some sleep, don't be trying to cover 2000 miles in 2 days like me.

TREvor

------------------
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 07:26 AM

Wink

Brutha, how long have you been riding? A guy I know, who has been riding for 15 or more years told me he reads all the cycle magazine for info cuz there is always something you don't think of yourself. (2 or more heads are better than 1) He also told me that whenever he has a "close call" or someone has a getoff, he goes back over the scene to do his own "crash investigation" to find out why things happened. Don't be lulled into a sense of safety, especially around cars, etc. I always ride on the OFFENSIVE. I want to be the one to make things happen when I ride, not someone else.....I almost forgot....

------------------
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 07:35 AM

I have been riding since around 11 or 12 yrs. old. So...7 or 8 years (I'm 19...almost 20). I started quads earlier than that, but that was when I started on 2-wheeled motorized funmakers. I feel like a newbie when I hear of people riding for 15 - 20 years. I think that more important than years, is riding maturity, if there is such a thing.

It's kinda like drinking. In U.S., drinking age is 21. There are 50 yr. olds who should NOT be drinking, while there are 18yr. olds who I'm sure could be perfectly responsible drinkers. Same goes for biking. It's more the mindset and what you do with your experience than anything else.

Just my $.02

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited June 20, 2000).]
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 07:38 AM

Yo Trevor, glad you were able to save it when you hit the grass on your bike. I hit it in my truck once and I could barely control it. Happy that you're still with us.

P.S. I am an EXTREMELY heavy sleeper, and can fall asleep almost anywhere, so your advice doesn't go unheeded!

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 07:58 AM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBR Brutha:
snip...There are 50 yr. olds who should NOT be drinking...snip

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey now, don't forget about Kyle J's age bracket too!

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode