Best tires??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

What are really the best tires out there or is there one "best tire?" I have used Bridgestone and Dunlop only. I can't stand riding on melted tires, so no more Bridgestones for me. Also what tire is prctical for:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> street
<LI> touring
<LI> racing
<LI>or just overall performance for the price
</UL>

Any experience stories or facts are appreciated.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 10:58 PM

Question

VYPIR, Dunlop got a new tire out this year you may want to check into, it's the D207RR(ROad/RAce) tire and apparently has the combination of both the street & race D207's patterns in the tire. I imagine it won't last though for touring or any other extended period. You could always go back to the D207's or even check out the Pilot sports, seem to be the norm these days.

------------------
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 01:48 AM

Thumbs up

My bike came stock with Bridgestone BT 56s and although they wore very well and had pretty decent grip, I recently changed to Pirelli Dragon Evos and they're so sticky, it's like having an entirely new bike. Lots of confidence in sharp corners leaned way over. Love them so far. The only concern is because they are so soft, they probably won't last as long at the BTs.

------------------
"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 02:50 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YZF600:
VYPIR, Dunlop got a new tire out this year you may want to check into, it's the D207RR(ROad/RAce)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And for around $600 US a set, you too can have them on your bike. Can't remeber where I got the price but will research a little more and let you know if anyone is interested.

------------------
RLJ3RD
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 03:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
chein sheng is the best by far and away.

seriously, these are based on my experiences, i haven't tried the new pilot streets or the mez3's. have used mez1's though, and didn't like the front, but it could be because my shock was crap.

for the street, i like d207zr's. they're cheap and seem to last okay. my bike has 1200 miles and they're about 60% or so, but i'm not doing as much mountain riding, so i think i'll get 2500-3000 miles out of them, that's at 30psi. not bad. the new evo's seem to last longer judging by my friend's tire-eating r1, and they stick well, but i like the 207's a little bit better.

i don't do much touring, but i hear that the metzler sport-touring tire rips. bt-56 may be better since they're a hard sportbike tire and cheaper.

for racing it's hard to say. i use 56's and like them, but bridgestone is supposed to have a new tire out for lw guys. it depends on your level on what's best. if you're a back of the pack yellow-plate roadracer, soft dunlop slicks ain't gonna help (that's why i don't use them). if you're a fast expert, the best tire is the one that's paying the most money that you can still win on, and those guys eat up tires so fast they can try different ones out different ones easily.

bang for the buck, bt-56 or 207, tough choice. i think on the street the 207 is a little bit sticker, but the 56's wear well and don't do anything evil for way less money than most other tires. as for melting them, if you're melting them on the sides, you'll be melting other tires too. though i've heard drag racers complain that bridgestones will melt down the middle and destroy the tire better easily. i've heard other drag racers say they're great.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited June 22, 2000).]
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 03:25 AM

I like the 207's they are doing okay. They are alot better than the Mich. the bike came with.
I only get 1,800 miles though. But they are melting and turning blue on the sides!!

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Dan F4 (edited June 22, 2000).]
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 04:06 AM

Thumbs down

If them new Dunlop D207RR's are $600 US, they know where they can stick them! Get real!

------------------
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 04:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Thumbs up

R1 and R6 came with D207s, I was NEVER a
Dunny fan, until now. These tires wear fast
but man even with the R1 you've gotta fight
to break traction bro... D207s all the way
if you are an agressive rider for sure!

Very predictable slides, I can kick the ass
end out and hold it there without a high side
and get great rear feedback.. It's all the
tire man.. Love 'em!

Chris

------------------
It's nice to have one of the biggest...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 07:37 PM

We are doing a little test right now. Buddy's Superhawk got 207's. My Gixxer got 205's(I want more miles). We ride about the same. We'll see which one lasts.

I had the Metz MEZ3's before this and it was a love/hate thing. Great feel, but didn't last for sh*t.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2000, 10:02 AM

Thumbs up

I just replaced my stock Bridgestones at 3500 miles (cord was showing!!!) with a set of 207ZR's and what a difference! Feels like I can hold a line easier and have much more confidence.

------------------
"It's better to be dead and cool than to be alive and uncool." -Harley from Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode