Engine Trouble - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Angry Engine Trouble

I took about a 500 mile trip on my bike ('95 RF 600) this weekend. Since I got back I've noticed that starting from a stop, there is a strange grinding/pinging sound and I can feel it in the foot pegs. I've tried in 2nd too just to make sure it isn't only 1st. I've already checked my chain tension and front and rear sprocket for wear. I stopped at some Po-dunk gas station on the way home. Maybe I just got bad gas? It might just be knocking. But the vibration I can feel in the pegs worries me. It only does it below 4-5 k and only at low speed. Taking the cage until I get this figured out. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 PM

Possible the crappy fuel you took in. Dump it & put in some good petrol, for that would be my first step.

Some yrs ago a friend topped up with some on this grain fuel. His bike ran like it was on its last few miles. At home he dunked the above fuel, put in good petrol & the end of his problems.

With that in mind he wrote to warn me knowing I was riding cafe racers & simply did not want me to run into the same.

ALWAYS obtain you fuel from places that have fresh underground tanks & the new station building, new pavement & the newer pumps is another bit of proof. So hope that is the answer.

Like to hear what the outcome is by answering on this board as it is a tip to all of us.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 02:16 PM

Is the noise constant or only when you start to let out the clutch and take off?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Angry

It only seems to be when I let out the clutch,
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Angry

It only seems to be when I let out the clutch,
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Dad

It's always hard to call these things by description BUT, I'd not dismiss the chain just yet. Is there an occasional "snapping/popping" sound as the bike moves? Any tight/loose spots as it rotates? Any tight links? Evidence of rusty powder bleeding out of any links at their pivot point? Did you ride in any rain on your trip? Do you have any idea how many miles are on the chain? And lastly, are you absolutely sure it was not ever adjusted too tight? That will ruin a brand new chain in a few hundred miles or less.

Always measure the slack and set according to factory recommendations for your model bike with any error in favor of the loose side, not too tight. As the suspension moves through its travel it actually tightens the chain with the tightest spot being when the transmission output shaft, swing arm pivot, and rear axle are in alignmnent. This happens because the swing arm pivot and transmission output shaft are on two different centers, swinging two different arcs. The side stand slack setting is to allow enough play so that at the tightest point, there is no bind. A proper setting actually results in almost no play at the tightest point in the suspension travel. Too little play on the side stand and it's binding under load.

I ask about rain riding because that cleans every trace of lube off the chain immediately. Carry a small lube can and lube the chain as soon as the rain stops.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 08-12-2004 at 07:50 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Dad. I didn't ride in the rain, but it did sit outside in the rain for a night. I'll lube it tonight when I get home. I was looking through the manual and it says to never use chain lubricant, but instead to use motor oil. What is the reason for this? I also plan to put it on the center stand and check for tight spots. I think it might be a combo of bad gas and tight chain making the noise/vibration. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 08:03 PM

Use chain lubricant, it's ok.

I had a problem last season where my bike would make a kind of "clack" when I'd let out the clutch in 1st or 2nd. Just as it started rolling, you could also feel a thunk through the footpegs. It was very noticable.

It seemed to go away when I'd clean the chain, but then come back shortly after. My chain also seemed to be beginning to bind (I dunno how old it was, came with the bike), but it still looked reasonably good. I replaced the chain at the start of this season and so far haven't had the problem re-appear. I'd like to say that was definately the solution, but unfortunately I also added a shift kit that involved removing/re-installing the clutch...

I would bet on chain though if you're problem seems to be what I'm describing.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 04:46 PM

Speedboy3 probably has the answer. Your chain of unknowen milage & unknowen service is probably shot with some links almost welded togeather.

Two ways to sport this, with ease. With the bike not in gear simply go to the most rear part of the sprocket & if you can pull back on the chain while still on the the sprocket ------- probably shot chain.

Hike bike up on a stand & when you roll the r/wheel around & see the chain sort of hopping up & down at the lower portion ---definately a shot chain.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Solved

Sorry I forgot to post the resolution to this. Last week I took my chain off to inspect it. Sure enough, on the inside of some of the links there was some rust binding up. So I guess its time for a new chain. Anyone have any suggestions of where to get a good price for a '95 RF 600 chain? Thanks to everyone for their 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode