What's the strangest thing you've hit (or almost hit) on the road? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

What's the strangest thing you've hit (or almost hit) on the road?

I was cruising along on the expressway in the left lane, doing about 75mph. In the middle lane is a tractor trailer about 10 car lengths ahead of me. He runs over the HOOD OF A CAR (not attached to the rest of the car, btw!) It flips up in the air and almost DECAPITATES me! Holy $hit! I swerve to the right, behind the truck as the hood comes down in the left lane, then I come back to the left lane when it was over. As I pass him, the trucker is gesturing and apologizing profusely. He must have seen the hood, but couldn't maneuver the truck in time, and then saw me in the rear view mirror! Its time to change the ole shorts...whew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 AM

You're just having too much fun on bikes this week??

I guess I'd say giant tumbleweeds are some of the strangest things I've seen. Ride in Texas long enough and you'll see'em. The big ones are real fun, nothing like seeing a 4 foot tall bush dancing around in your lane unpredictably as the wind shifts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
You're just having too much fun on bikes this week??
no kidding, and its only tuesday!!!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 07:56 AM

I would have to say a large trash bag. I was riding with my wife on the back when the car in front of me ran over a large trash bag. The bag flew up and hit my foot, inflated, and yanked it back so far my foot hit my wife’s helmet. I was lying on my tank, chin on the windscreen, foot in the air and drifting to the side of the road very fast. I am thinking my wife would figure out that I could not reach the bag, but to my amazement, she just looked at it as if it should just fly away by itself. Thankfully after some not so nice encouragement she removed the bag and we went on our way.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 08:00 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Canadian goose. Never liked those damn things anyway.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:17 AM

That would have to be the biggest Possum I've ever seen. I was on the XT 550 going out to the valley, and the damn thing was right in the middle of the lane. Those bikes don't swerve all that great, but it did that day!

Take it easy Rick! Be careful out there!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Inky

Take it easy Rick! Be careful out there!
Thanks for the concern, Inky. With 20 years riding, there isn't much that surprises me anymore. I always expect the unexpected...its second nature (my riding game: I'm invisible, and they all want to kill me!)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:49 AM

Post Trunk

Sunday was ridding with the buddies and he did a standup.. When he landed the fender eliminator fell off and everything came out of the trunk.. Dodged the screw driver that came flying and the Stainless steel peice that flew too.. Donno what else was in there but i was dodging about everything!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Re: Trunk

Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
Sunday was ridding with the buddies and he did a standup.. When he landed the fender eliminator fell off and everything came out of the trunk.. Dodged the screw driver that came flying and the Stainless steel peice that flew too.. Donno what else was in there but i was dodging about everything!
So, your answer would be ........squid!

Last edited by RSVRick; 08-10-2004 at 11:15 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
I don`t have any strange close calls of hitting something, but I`ve almost been hit in the head with a chunk of rubber from a Semi`s tire, and a bird... I`ve watched someone give a LIVE ground hog the boot and it fly into the bushes as we were riding down the road, too, if that counts...

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode