The scariest day - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Post The scariest day

This Tuesday was the scariest day that I have ever had while riding my bike. My best friend took his mom's Harley 883 sportster for a ride to where my mom was baby sitting to jump into their pool to cool off. Well after taking a couple of trips up and down the rode to go and get food and smokes from a gas station in between swimming and relaxing, we decided to start to head home. I had this real funny feeling that something bad was going to happen on the way. Well we got about 3 miles from where we were at swimming and it happened. My friend not going very fast was going around a cornor when he hit a small patch of loose stone and slide towards the ditch. He was able to keep the bike up and he had no choice but to go into the ditch, so he gradually made his way down into the ditch. Was I watch in horror from behind I thought he would be able to ride it out and come to a stop. As soon as that thought went through my head, him and the bike went air born. He hit a small steep upgrade for a drainage pipe, just missing the pipe. As I watched him fly through the air I watched the bike and him go parrallel to the ground. When him and the bike hit the crash bar dug a 6" deep hole into the grass and bounced back up into the air. My friend let go of the bike at that point and he went away from the bike landing about 2' away from the final resting point of the bike. The bike flipped over onto the other side onto the other side and stopped. Thank god I let him wear my spare Vega helmet for it may of saved him life. All he had was some grass burn and a contusion on his left foot and a dislocated right shoulder that he popped back into place, Ouch!. The bike had some minor damage to it, the shift lever broke from hiting his boot, the left crash bar was bent and cracked, and the left back turnsignal was broken. Other then that him and the bike where OK. I gave him a ride back to the place we just left to check him out closer and so he could get ice on his foot. My dad came out with the truck to pick up the bike and take it back to his mom's. Once we got the bike back I took him to the hospital were the doctor confrimed to him not having a broken foot and just a contusion.
The funny thing about that whole exprience is that before all this happened he swore he would never wear a helmet while riding a cruiser. Now he won't ride unless he wears a helmet. If it wasn't for the helmet, I may have been working on my friend trying to keep him alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:11 PM

Small stones on pavement are like marbles under one's wheel. Same with sand, or a bit of oil, anti-freeze, dampness under some fallen leaves on the road come Autumn. It is endless & with two wheels we are loosers while those driving a cage will not even notice it since they are self-balanced.

Some of the many things that will, as I say, "put one on their ear" in a fraction of a second.

Your friend is lucky that was all there was to it. For he could have also landed on a broken beer bottle or lord knows what to have done far more damage.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

On thing that I missed was that when the bike flipped and he let go and it thrown him away from the bike, as he was flying through the air he missed a cable that is put into the ground from a telephone pole by about a foot. If he would have hit that, it would have been ugle.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:35 PM

Close call

Wow, sounds like a pretty close call! So glad to hear that your friend is ok. He really lucked out that he didn't get too hurt and that he happened to be wearing the helmet you lent him.

Hope he has a swift recovery.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
I am glad to see that your friend is all right. Hopefully your friend will be back in the saddle real soon.

Me Big Brother, me watching you

skylinerydr- where the ground meets the sky

Today is the day of the beginning of your life, ride safe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

He says that this has not stop the love he has for riding and he will ride again. It just won't be until he gets a bike of his own, because he now feels pretty crappy about wrecking his mom's bike.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 09:11 PM

With hope that he will obtain some sensible protective riding gear & hopefully take the MSF course.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:39 AM

Glad that everything turned out ok cept the bike. Sounds like a good lesson in gear and watching the road. I have always ridden solo myself so I have never seen anyone go down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode