Sv650 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Sv650

One of the guys I ride with here bought a wrecked SV650 early this season to rebuild as a track/beater bike. He finally got it together, went for the salvage inspection and all the fun stuff, and he got it out for the group ride last Sunday. This guy is arguably the best rider on the street in this area, and he can easily disappear from most people on the group ride if he really wants to though he normally doesn't. Most of the time he shows up on his GSXR-1000, and he would only go fast around corners to have his fun, then keep a quite relaxed pace on the straight for the group to catch up. I normally don't have to work too hard to keep up with him anywhere he goes (mind you I'm not a slow rider either) because he doesn't accelerate full bore out of corner or on the straight. But when he was on the SV650 last Sunday, I had to work my balls off just to keep up with him because he was going quite a lot faster than his normal pace in a group ride. Apparently, he thought that since he went out on the SV650, he might be going too slow for the others and better speed up a little so not to hold up others. But damn! He was absolutely flying on that thing.

Later on after lunch stop, I swapped bike with him for about 30 miles of twist and turn roads. It was then I realize why he thought he was going slow and felt the need to go hell bent earlier as not to hold others up. Here is what I think:

The bike was so smooth with its power you don't feel a kick of increased power like an inline 600cc supersport. The bike's suspension was also stock set up for some 140lbs which made the road seems smoother all around, though I couldn't really feel the road at all when riding. Those things probably attribute to the feeling of the bike isn't moving as fast as it really is. I was surprised to see that I was going 90+ when I thought I was only going 60. I also found that it was really easy to go around corners at some serious speed. At the same speed I take a corner on my R6, it felt like I was just slowly cruising through on the SV650. It wasn't like I could have gone around the corner faster becasue I was already dragging the footpeg as a result of the low ground clearance, but it sure felt like I was going a lot slower than I really was. After riding the SV, I finally realize why my friend was going so much faster than he normally would - because the bike gives him a wrong impression on his speed. The SV is a really fun bike to ride on, and can definitely be a really fast bike with a good rider. Only thing I didn't like about it was the low redline, but I guess that's what you could expect from a guy who's used to 15.5k redline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:30 AM

What I think you are mainly reacting to is the v-twin power delivery compared to an i-4. The power comes on smoothly and at lower rpms, but doesn't build to the peak levels like an i-4. Stock suspension is too soft for anyone over about 160 lbs. You should feel how it corners with proper springs. If it's and sv and not an svs, ground clearance can be easily improved with svs rear set brackets (about 1" up and back) and shift rod for nominal $$. Also, again if it's an sv, aftermarket bars like Suburban Machinery make a HUGE difference. With those bars you really need to do something about the pegs. Really fun bike that is pretty easy to ride fast.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 04:31 PM

Which jives with the thinking John Ulrich, editor-owner of RoadRacing World in '69 when it tested the SV-650 (not the 650s) & said "Finally someone has made a motorcycle for fun riding". Interesting thing is most of us are out for the fun of riding & not keen "track day" riders.

With his knowledge of so many of the present 600s this bike was simply amazing to his feeling.

Thing is try to get that across to those sold on a 600 four for they simply do not understand the vast difference & why the SV-650 is such a good bike.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 07:02 PM

I am no "expert" rider by any stretch. The majority of my riding the past 2+ years has been my 10 mile commute to and from work. The sv650 is almost effortless to ride. When I go up into the mountains (they are really hills, but around here we call them mountains) I find myself laughing. It is hard to stop grinning when I stop for gas or come back home.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 08:03 PM

Re: Sv650

Quote:
Originally posted by AirKnight

Later on after lunch stop, I swapped bike with him for about 30 miles of twist and turn roads. It was then I realize why he thought he was going slow and felt the need to go hell bent earlier as not to hold others up. Here is what I think:

TRAITOR j/k I'm acutally kind of scared to ride somebody elses bike. But I think maybe I will try to see if one of my buddies would like to switch one time. But IDK about that either I don't know if I really want to let anyone else ride my bike.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 04:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
My buddy just got an sv650s this year. Great bike, and he loves it. Then it got ran over in a parking lot.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 09:49 AM

I love mine!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Which jives with the thinking John Ulrich, editor-owner of RoadRacing World ...

Great, now we're quoting John Ulrich.

Smitty, I still love ya, can't say the same for J.U.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:44 PM

I rode my little SV650 for 4 years. That was a great bike, lots of fun with the corners. I recently purchased a Triumph Speed Triple (2001) and I find it has better handling/suspension so I can tear through canyons that much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode