Ego's! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Angry Ego's!

So I wake up Sunday morning, bright and way… way too early for a weekend. 7am to meet up with the group by 8. I arrive on time, a few minutes early and notice 4 other bikes there “great, small group” I think to myself. After 45 minutes the rest of the group shows up, 10 bikes total. We head up to one of the local lakes which is about 45 miles away, nice ride, and good twisties .

We stop off at a gas station about 3 miles before the turnoff to go to the lake, which is still another 25 miles or so. After 30 minutes of waiting, more people FINALLY show up. We all leave and some hoe I am leading the group. We all agree to meet up at a meeting point at the 4500 foot level. We get up there, I notice only 5 bikes in my group. We wait for the rest to show up…. And wait…. And wait…. After 20 minutes we hear a bike. He pops out from a back way up the hill, more twisty. So we wait for the rest of them to show up, after 10 minutes one guy decides to go and find them. I decide in case any one went down, I should be there too, being an EMT and all, I figured it would make sense. We see the Vice President of the club coming towards us, him and the guy in front of me talk for a few seconds, I ask what happened “Tina went down” “crap!” I say to myself. We take off like a bat out of hell and come up on the scene. Luckily an EMT was driving by and was already treating her. I told him who I was and that I was there to help also.

He was stabilizing her neck, but she was not seriously injured. She had a good size scrape on her knee from road rash, complained of neck and head pain, but was very lucky. She low sided at 30, front tire hit pine needles and she slid into the embankment. A passer by ran home and called an ambulance, we had no cell service where we were. Tina’s boyfriend shows up and starts checking on her R6 rather then her! I told him that she needed him more then her bike. A fire truck showed up and started to talk to me and the other EMT, they asked her name and Mr. Perfect Boyfriend says “You don’t need it, she is not going to the hospital, honey get up, get on the bike and lets go”. I got pissed! I told him she needed more medical attention, her did not care. She started to get up, I was stabilizing her neck, I told her she needed to relax and wait for the paramedics, she said “no”. After 5 minutes if trying to talk her out of leaving, we gave up. Me and the other EMT signed off on the report that she was RAS (Released At Scene) and went AMA (Against Medical Advice). After her and MR. Perfect left, I left and went home.

I called the club VP later, they were taking her to the hospital for dizziness. Some people!

Now, I think it is great that a couple can share a sport such as riding, but when the guy puts his ego in front of her safety, I think he needs a reality check!

Sorry, had to vent.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:32 AM

I see I'm not the only who's run into this bullshit......
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:33 AM

If ANYONE has fallen and c/o head and neck pain they are not competent to go AMA in my opinion; not that you could have done anything to get numbnut boyfriend to realise this. What an ass he was for putting you in that position and risking her life just cause he wanted to continue riding.

From your description she was still FAR from 100% after a 30 minute rest. That SCREAMS of a closed head injury with concussion or worse possible. If she had a subdural bleed she could easily have gone from headache to coma anywhere in the next 36 hours with no real warning. People frequently fall asleep, lethargy is a big sign of head injuries and increased intracranial pressure from bleeds or swelling, and then never wake up from that last deep sleep.

To all of you out there, if anyone ever has an accident and loses consciousness for even a minute, complains of a headache, or can't remember any aspect of their fall they need to go to the ER and probably get a head CT.

Good job Jester, sounds like you did all you could. And vent away man, it sucks when people get in the way of doing what you feel is right for a patient. Hope she's okay.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:34 AM

what an ass, the bike was the last thing on my mind when my girl crashed, she was crying because she thought I would be mad because she scratched my bike, I just left it lay and told her to relax it can be fixed that is what insurance is for and made sure she was alright. That guy needs to get his priorities straight.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:40 AM

Re: Ego's!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Now, I think it is great that a couple can share a sport such as riding, but when the guy puts his ego in front of her safety, I think he needs a reality check!
Did you know them before the ride? Or ridden with them before? On one of the other boards I'm on, some of the locals, including me, have been trying to get together some people to ride with. The only thing I'm hesitant about is not knowing any of them, or what kind of riders they are.

One of the guys I've been talking to is about 10 years younger, but seems to have a level head on shoulders: always wears full gear, etc. I just don't want to get out with a group I don't know that start stunting or other crazy riding that I see some of the guys around town doing. That's not me and I don't want any part of it.

And you are right, Mr Perfect Boyfriend was being a total jerk. Some people can only think about themselves. The condition of her bike should have been the last thing on this mind unless she was asking about it. Then it might've been a way to keep her calm. Sorry your ride turned out that way, dude.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 08:15 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Yet another example of why I ride by myself.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Some days are like this.

Unfreakingbelieveable.

Mr. Boyfriend sounds like the kind of guy that needs to wear his ass for a hat for a little while.

I had a little spill when I first got the Buell and all I hit was my knee and my hands, but you know what? Spicersh wouldn't get off my ass until I was seen by a doctor to make sure everything was okay.

Definitely sounds like a guy you don't need to come along on your next group ride.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
This was the first... and LAST time I have ridden with them. It was not a fast ride or anything either, just a slow ride through the hills. I think part of the reason for the wreck was riding to close to the edge of the road

I told the VP of the club that he needed to sit down with the boyfriend and let him know that the safety of a ride should come before his ego.

I know that I covered my ass with the accident report, so I know that it will not come back on me.

If the boyfriend goes on a ride again, I'll pass, and go on my own.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:33 AM

Jester you did things the correct way & dimwit proved to be just that.

Still you learned somehing that I have done for ages------------ ride solo & especially not in a group or have anthing to do with organizing a group ride. I know it sounds great till something like the above comes about.

Every so often there are a group of sportbike riders that meet in the Okanagan Valley area also there are a group of HOG riders & another group of Goldwing though in the latter any size of bike is accepted.

Unfortunately the sporbike riders ride four abreast & in fact remind me of what it is like when I open a tin of sardines. Many accidents & I note so many do not know each other & I riding with "grip of death" on the bars.

Yet the other groups spread out, well seperated & if two are togeather it is is a well spaced staggered form. Many are riding solo to one place or the other from the main camp or the meeting place.

Really it is quite interesting that ONLY the sportbike riders seem to be almost commited to an accident of those I have mentioned above. Of interest I have noted even 2 or 4 sportbike riders will tend to ride to close to each other.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I thought this was going to be about waffles.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode