What does pre-ignition sound like? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

What does pre-ignition sound like?

This may just be all in my head, but I just filled up with regular and now sometimes when I roll on the throttle hard I think I can hear and kind a gravely sound, like someone pouring gravel into a metal pan. Is that preignition? My manual says to use 86, so if it is my timing must be messed up. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 07:31 PM

That's what it sounds like! Your piston now looks like it's been pelted with said gravel also!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Well, no more 87 for me. Did I really do that much damage?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 02:50 AM

What kind of bike is it??

How many miles do you have on it and have you run 86/87 before without problems?

What RPM and throttle setting were you at?

What brand of 86 were you using?

Need more info but that sounds like it may have been detonating, unlikely that you were having preignition though.

Grant
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 03:41 AM

Wink

Sounds like gurggling of cheap gas to me, I use 91 octain or higher. Prolly didn't do any damage, just runs like a ric-shaw LOL

MicroSoft - Resistance is Futile You Will be Assimilated.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 04:24 AM

Prolly not much damage. Really no need to worry. You may have gotten some bad gas.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
What kind of bike is it??

How many miles do you have on it and have you run 86/87 before without problems?

What RPM and throttle setting were you at?

What brand of 86 were you using?

Need more info but that sounds like it may have been detonating, unlikely that you were having preignition though.

Grant
700 miles and this is my second tank (just bought the bike). My first tank was 92.

I think I was at 3 to 4 grand, throttle about half, using 76-brand 87 octane.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 08:25 AM

What kind of bike?

76 should have good gas, sometimes you have to wonder about the no-name stations???????

If it goes away with higher octane, then detonation is a real possibility. If you haven't burned off enough to refill with higher octane then you could try a VERY small amount of octane boost from a auto parts store. Just use a touch because that stuff can do damage to gaskets and rubber fuel line components. You're only looking to boost the octane of at most 5 gallons and only boosting it by 2-4 points.

If it keeps doing it a jet kit or power commander may help as lean mixtures detonate more easily. Have your dealer look at it too. It's got to still be under warantee so why take the responsibility of diagnosing the problem if there is one.

Re-fill with mid-grade or better and let us know what it does for the bike.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for all the help. It's an '03 Honda 919. I'll see if it's still under warranty (possible) and post back here if I figure anything out.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 04:10 PM

torok: What does it say on the Owners Manual. I use regular non-leaded petrol of 97 octaine on my '97 Yamaha YZF600r & '00 Honda 929 with no pre-ignition.

Have tried up to 91 (only do a few rare stations ever have 92 or 93 so even tried that) & cannot see any difference in power to the bike, heating, fuel milage, etc. My Owners Manual, of both bikes, says 86 octane or up.

Basically since '46 all I have ever used was pump fuel, bar times I was experimenting. Just one thing I do is buy from stations I know to have fresh or good underground tanks. To often the older & especially the slightely lower priced to discount stations have tanks that are leaking out gas & taking in undergound liquids not to mention how some will illegally pump in diesel fuel to regular or high octane tanks. I have no idea how they do this, but some have been cought when the fuel was tested. Have some of that crap in your engine & it will suffer.

One can always spot a good station by the appearance of the station building being only a few yrs old, the newer pumps & that the surface has been done over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode