knee dragging on the street? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
knee dragging on the street?

got a question for people....i've never seen nor heard about people knee draggin on street. is technique something that is only done a track? illuminarte me.

mind you i'm *not* thinking about trying this, so don't get worried. i dragged a toe once and that was waaaay scare enough.

thanks!
-chris sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 08:10 AM

You need to adjust your foot position so you don't drag your toe. Most people say to try to stay away from draggin on the street due to the inperfections on the street. Leave it for the track.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 12:55 PM

St rictly for road racing with clean tracks, no gravel or lord knows what, & no worry of cages coming the other way.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 02:56 PM

Ideally, knee-draggin would only be done at the track, but look at the bike videos that are on the 'net. People do it on the street all the time, often in moderate to heavy traffic, around blind curves. I don't knee-drag, and have no desire to do so no the street. If there where I track nearby, maybe I'd be into it then.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 03:51 PM

We have a few chaps with sportbikes, joined two piece racing leathers & pucks on their knees. All looks so professional only to get the tyres well woren right off to the ecges some have the bike up against a building & so lean it from one side to the other as rear wheel is spinning.

Mind you many use a mobile grinder to do the job & it does a nice job on the knee pucks & outside parts of the boots.

True posers I am sorry to say as they only ride in town. Never out on the hwys like those on cruisers, to HD, to sport-touring bikes, touring bikes to some of us on sportbikes.

Sort of like skiers that spend all the time ONLY on the practice slopes in the most attractive ski clothing & some beautiful styles of skiing but they cannot handle the steeper parts let alone competition like Downhill, Giant Slalom, Slalom, or hot dogging trick skiing. In other words the ski bumbs.

I will admit that some, probably, not here, will sometimes get it over that far only they are chancing their lives as are stunters.

Remember to that to get over as far as the road racers one needs real stickies in the line of slicks not legal on the hwys.

No matter what one cannot count on that bend to be as clean as they expected or as safe with oncoming traffic, but then the same thing in stunting.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 05:03 PM

Dragging knees on the street is dumb as hell. When the bike is over that far, the rider is generally riding at 10/10ths of their ability. That means that whatever is around the corner, be it a car to take the rider's life, or a child about to lose their life, becomes unavoidable to the dumbass trying to look cool. Personally, I don't give a damn about their life, but for the safety of everyone else it should be kept on the track.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 05:06 PM

nicely said
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 05:07 PM

As for the technique aspect. It allows the rider to move the centre of gravity down and towards the inside of the curve, allowing the bike to use less lean angle for any given curve. As an added bonus, many riders use their knees as a lean-angle guage, so they know how much they have left before the hard parts such as exhaust start touching the tarmac.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 06:57 AM

No way, not for street riding.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:56 AM

It can be done safely but you definitely give up some of the margin for safety. It also really depends mostly on the rider and the road. The road has to be clean and the corners open enough visually so you can see oncoming traffic well in advance. The rider should be well under 10/10ths or they're just asking for big trouble.

The roads we have in SoCal can be so tight and twisty that you can easily get a knee down at 35mph and 6/10ths.

Definitely not for everyone or every location. And at no time should you ever have to cross the center line due to speed. If you ever cross the center line you better do some serious soul searching about what's possible when you do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode