took everyone's advice - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

took everyone's advice

hey I just wanted to say I took everyone's advice and bought a 1993 kawasaki ex 500 with 14, 000 miles on it, for $1,200. As opposed to buying a new gsxr 600 as my first bike. I just got it today, and have been riding it on a private backroad, and all i can say is holy sh&t, this thing moves and I haven't even run it past 8000 rpm. I can already tell this is a wise decision for a first rider, and I now understand why everyone does not advise new rider's to get new race bike's. 600cc's and up. Anyway thanks to all.

p.s. Do you think I got a good deal, or average.

tjvtsportsman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 08:08 PM

Goof bike & good buy. Have fun & ride with care & smooth handeling.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 08:10 PM

Well its hard to say. you can check the retail value on www.nada.com What kind of shape is it in. That is really low miles for a 93 bike. Execelent choice but just remember that thing will get you in to trouble just like any 600cc bike. The price sounds good to me and since you are allready riding it thats even better. Ride the hell out of that thing and try to take care of it so you can get your investment back. When you are ready to upgade. Good choice, have fun.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 04:19 AM

It sounds like a good deal, as the bike appears to be running great. NADA and KBB just give you the average retail and wholesale, so a bike could be worth much more or much less......to you.

I had a friend a few years ago who had a jetted ex500 and it was very quick. He would always outrun my SecaII, which was a 600.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 05:01 AM

Sounds like a good buy. I would not be surprised if you sell it a year from now for the same price or more, than you paid. I think they kind of hold their value, because people get them for learning and then move on.....who could really pass on that cost, for something they know they are not going to keep for more than a season or two. If people try to down it and say it can not keep up with the newer bikes, I know an old man ( Dad) that can run his daughter 500 in WV all day and have the newer, bigger bikes, chasing him all day long. Good buy, enjoy it!!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

i appreciate all the info. I thought it was a good deal as well, because I got it from the original owner, it has brand new tires, fresh tune up, etc, and it is in really good condition.

man i'm thrilled.......................... tjvtsportsman
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjvtsportsman
i appreciate all the info. I thought it was a good deal as well, because I got it from the original owner, it has brand new tires, fresh tune up, etc, and it is in really good condition.

man i'm thrilled.......................... tjvtsportsman
That last statement says it all....that's all that really matters, good luck, have fun and ride safely. With that head on your shoulders and your maturity you should enjoy this sport (addiction ) for many years to come!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:42 PM

Definately a good buy since you obtained in from the original owner & he has taken care of it.

Do the same & when you decided to upgrade then you will find it sells at a good price.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Dad

Congratulations Sportsman! Sounds like you did good! Take it easy. There's a lot to learn and a lot of fun to be had.

See guys, some listen and benefit. It's still worth the effort. I suspect that for those who take the time to investigate and read this stuff and not just rush out and buy on emotion, you've helped out a lot of people over the years.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:19 AM

Congrats on your new bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode