What do you guys think about the 919 (Smitty???) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

What do you guys think about the 919 (Smitty???)

Sorry to make all these threads, but with the last bike I bought I was seriously misinformed and I'm really trying to avoid that again.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 919 as aposed to a Speed Triple. Yes, the Triple is the better bike, but used they are a lot more money. I can get a damn-near-new 919 for just about nothing. So I'm thinking, better? Yes. $1,200 better? Doubt it.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could comment on the 919's shortcomings that I have heard about. Specifically the vibrations, which I hear are a little bit bad at 5 grand, and the lack of top end. Are any of these deal breakers? I have to keep in mind, of course, that I'm coming from a Shadow, so having ANY top end at all is going be glorious.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 09:14 PM

Sorry but my knowledge of the Honda 919 is basically nil. I am not overly keen on skelton bikes which the 919 is only the '04 is with fuel injection compared to the prior version.

Only some m/c mag prints of it & it looks half-way decent & weight is decent as it is only 16 lbs dry-wt over my Yamaha 600r so better power-to-weight ratio.

Hey my Honda 929 has some strange viberations & around 5,500 some strange sounds only that is normal for the 929. Nothing is silk smooth as all m/cs have viberation points here & there which is normal.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I'm sorry. For some reason I thought you owned one. And acording to the reviews I've read, all the 919s are injected. Well, I hope they are since I hate carburetors.

EDIT: You have a 929. My mistake.

Last edited by torok; 07-20-2004 at 09:56 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 11:38 AM

All the '04 are with fuel injection while those prior are with carbs!!!!!

Yes it is confusing with strange numbers like 919. 929, & 954 of even one m/c maker not to mention all the others with their numbers & sometimes letters not to mention how so many riders shorten parts like GSX instead GSXR & still needing the cc size not to mention Suzuki is first yet most of us call it a Suzy. Speed Triple, but then who's Speed Triple, Yamaha YZF600R compared to the YZF 6R & those are trimmed down to 600r & R6-------that is only naming a minor few & then when some chaps go back bikes in 70s & 80s they are thinking & use some shortened number/letter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

So was this reviewer just wrong about the bike?

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/25apr...919review.html

And this guy?

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/02models.motml

And this guy too...

http://www.cmgonline.com/articles/CM...onda/home.html

Okay, starting to think you may be wrong about this one. You had me a little perplexed there for a while though.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 01:19 PM

Go to the dealer and sit on it. If you like it enough, you won't leave without it!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 02:55 PM

My apologizies for I was going on some info I read in Cycle Canada & seems they have a typo error as they put it "The 919 combines a fuel injectionf version of the previous 919cc Fireblade engine----".

So my error in bunging up "previous".

From what I read the bike should be a good one due to the better rider postiion compared to sportbikes & the slightely broader handlebars will be appreciated. Note there is nw mention of viberation problems that seemed to be high on your lists of why you might reject the thought of said bike. I will admit that I only read the two Links on the bike & not the third.

As I said at first the weight seemed quite good .

Also bugging me was while Honda are one of the early one with fuel injection system I was amazed when their 599 came with carbs which is a backward step for Honda on a NEW bike.

My sort of excuse for my error & I do apoligize FOR we are fellow m/cists & not paid testers of m/cs along with being human so errors can come from us. Well myself for sure in this case.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

No problem. Thanks Smitty. I bought the 919 and I freakin' love the thing! It's like the Triple except it handles better and has a lower seat. Sooooo glad I ditched that Shadow.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:45 PM

Nice to hear the latest. The bike, in my mind, seemed like a good looking iron with a sensible riding position & the weight impressed me.

Since you have noticed such a difference then definately it was a good purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode