??? mechanics ??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Question ??? mechanics ???

Iíve been thinking about becoming a bike mechanic. Im currently in school in Florida going into my junior year. I plan on finishing up to get my BA in physical therapy. After witch I think I want to learn how to fix bikes. Iíve heard of some school were you can go to learn to fix bikes Does any one know what they are like. How long you attend them before you are ready to work. And just in general how the job is. How much does it pay yearly. Is it salary or by the hour. I always here about people not liking the dealership and shops because they charge so much. Is this a major problem with most shops or do they still get their share of customers. Is the job fairly easy to get into .meaning like is their a lot of Competition when looking to work for a shop or dealership? Or is it just a matter of looking around before you get an opportunity. any info would help out. especially if any one is a mechanic and works in a shop or dealership. I like to be up and about and cant stand just sitting behind a desk all day witch is why I chose physical therapy as my major. I just want to give my self some options even if I only look for part time with it. Plus I would love to have a job that involves something that is a passion of mine.

O and does any one know if the hours are flexible. I am also currently a volunteer fire fighter. we work two 24 hour shifts a week so that leaves me 5 more days a week with nothing to do. like I said I am just trying to give my self options to when I graduate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 02:54 PM

I think you are talking about MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute).
It's part of United Technologies Institute or UTI, which also trains car mechanics. MMI has its main school in Pheonix, Arizona and another one in Orlando, Florida. I watched their thirty minute long infomercial on Speed Channel one morning. They train you to work on any two of the following: Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha; or you can choose Harley-Davidson. I think the program last about a year.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 05:00 PM

school

My son went to MMI in Florida, 13 months.
He now works for as a mechanic for a dealer here in Maryland. He started working about two weeks after graduating. He had offers from three dealers here.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

well i also stay in MD so mayeb if i go ill have his luck with that lol.thats the one im lookin at.the one in Orlando.since im already in school in florida about 3 hours away.i was reading an atricle or add about it and it said you could graduate in 5 months on a full time schedule.was yoru son goin there full time or part time for that 13 months? how much was it to attend there?and do you kno what they were offering him salary wise when he came out?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 12:47 PM

He was going to class 4 hours a day, and working part time. He has been out for just over a year.
I think he started out at 11.00 an hour, now he is up to 14.00. I know he started mostly just assembling bikes, but now he does most of the sportbike work at the shop.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the info....do you kno how much the school is by any chance.

sorry to keep askin you a ton of questions.do you kno the web site.i saw in the add it says go to unicorp.com witch is a link to little schools and such but did not come across it.

Last edited by king34; 07-23-2004 at 04:55 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

actualy nevermind i did find the website.but it did not say anythinng on the cost but just about scholorships,ect. so do you kno the cost to attend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode