Upshifting...Do you use Clutch????? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Upshifting...Do you use Clutch?????

I was reading an article in this M/C magazine and it said that it's better NOT to use the clutch when you are upshiting when you are on the race track. I was wondering can this be done with a regular bike and would it hurt the bike at all. Im a newb so i just wanted to know should i do this when i get my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 10:28 PM

I do it all the time. There is no reason that you shouldnt be able to do it on other bikes. All the bike needs to have is a 'close ratio transmission' (it'll say in the owners manual when it talks about the transmission).
For my 1000RR you have to be accelerating at a fair clip, chop the throttle pretty much all the way, shift, return throttle and accelerate. Takes me about 1/4 of a second. Shifts so smoothly that alot of times except that I did the shift, I wouldnt know that the bike is in a higher gear.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 05:58 AM

Just don't do it on a tranny that has less then three thousand miles on it. Wait until everything is all settled in.

EDIT: Oh, and I always use the clutch, but I don't own a sportbike.

Last edited by torok; 07-19-2004 at 06:05 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 07:25 AM

We just went through this LAST WEEK!!! The clutch is there to be used. Take it from an old sod with 58 yrs of m/cing experience, ex-m/c mechanic & ex-owner of two m/c shops & managed a few others.

Present bikes are & Yamaha 600, Honda 929 & will have the addition of a Honda 954 in about a weeks time. Do not own cruisers, but was brought up on Harleys & Indians plus all the others in the late 40s & early 50s.

True once the cog box is well broken in & one is experienced in riding they will be able to barely touch, sort of like a tap, the clutch lever in making the shifts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 08:20 AM

Clutchless shifting

Streetbikes aren't racebikes and racebikes aren't streetbikes.
The clutch is there for a reason.

It is possible to shift without the clutch, but why take a chance on a bent shift fork or stripped gear? (and a $1000+ repair bill!)

I once sold a bike to a buddy of mine who felt that the clutch was unneccessary. He blew the whole transmission apart after about 2 months of use.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 08:33 AM

I just had to replace all the forks and gears in my trany on my R6 because of such abuse. It costed somewhere in the lines of $1500 to $1800 to fix the trany. It's not worth the money if you ask me. I always use the clutch now!

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I have no desire to shift my bike without the clutch.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:21 AM

Hey Smitty, sorry to hijack this thread, but I was just wondering how you liked your 919 since I am seriously considering one myself. Thanks!

phil [at] pkulak [dot] com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Strength and Honor

One area I hadn't messed with much until my last track day was clutchless up shifting. The bike seemed to take it really well from 3rd up to 5th but only when she was pretty high in the rpms. I thought I'd practice it a bit on the street and my experience was less than pleasant. 4-5 went ok, but it got progressively more abrupt as I started closer to 1st. Yes, the rpms were lower.

Anyone have suggestions on making these smoother? I blipped and had pre-pressure on the shifter for each change. I haven't used it on the street since the single time following my track event.

As an aside, I discovered that my shifts into second are far more accurate. Previously I'd have quite a few mis-shifts because the gearing wouldn't get all the way into second, leaving me with a revved neutral

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Under hard acceleration, I'll normally do clutchless upshifts on the Gixxer. Handles it just fine. Put some pressure on the lever, and then roll off the throttle, pop the shifter, and back on the throttle all in the blink of an eye. Kanwisch, it sounds like you're doing things that exact same way, so I can't imagine why you'd not be having smooth shifts, except that you are too low on RPM's (it seems that lower rps, or slower acceleration make for rough shifts w/o the clutch). That, or it could just be Suzuki's usual superiority.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode