Battery situation - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Battery situation

I just bought a 2000 F4 yesterday. I got home and it started right up, but on the ride home I had the kickstand down and it bent. So I strapped the bike up straight at home and tried to take the kickstand off, but I couldn't break it loose. However the stand was up for probably 20 minutes and when I went to start it, the battery was dead. Could a kickstand being up drain my battery when the bike isn't running? It started right up when I got home but after working on the stand it is completely dead. Do bikes have alternators? I imagine I'll have to throw a trickle charger on it if they don't have alt's. BTW, the key was off while I was working on it. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 07:42 AM

Yes, bikes have alternators and I've never heard of the kickstand of a bike using power directly or indirectly on any bike.

The guy probably knew it had a bad battery but didn't want to drop the 50 bucks before he sold it. He probably had it running when you got there, or very shortly before.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 08:31 AM

torok: is probably right about the almost dead battery by the prior owner. Good chance that is the original battery he boosted enough to get the sale.

If serviced properly & used properly the batteries in most m/cs should last 5 to 7 yrs.

There are always some additional costs & things to be done to a bike bought from someone else UNLESS they take the best of the care of their bikes & will even point out different things one should look out for like' battery is now 4 yrs old & still doing me well & while there is good rubber on the bike you might need a new chain in a while'. Those are the good people to buy from & yes we have run into them to been them ourselves.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 03:39 PM

Are you sure the battery is dead? it could be that the kick stand switch is not being hit by the kickstand preventing it from starting. Do you have lights?

James.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

No lights. When it tries to turn over the lights start dimming with each turn until it finally dies and there is a clicking sound. I put a trickle charger on it today about 4:00p.m and it is still charging at 10:00p.m.

I bought it used and the guy had been trying to sell it for a couple months. When people would come to look at it he would start it and let it run but the charging system never kicked on since it doesn't idle at 3k RPM. I imagine that's what slowly drained the battery.

I'll let you all know how things go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode