Splittin' Lanes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: How often do you split lanes?
ALL THE TIME 10 18.18%
NEVER 22 40.00%
ONLY ON STREETS 3 5.45%
ONLY ON THE FREEWAY 3 5.45%
ITS ILLEGAL IN MY STATE... BUT I STILL DO IT 12 21.82%
OTHER 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Splittin' Lanes

2 things...
I was wondering how often do some of you split lanes...

And what would you have done in this situation..
A few months ago I decided to go get my wife from work on the bike. We were comming up to a red stop light and I was reving my engine about every five feet or so to let the cage drivers know Im going between them. As I reached about the eighth car back from the front of the line. The summbitch riding shotgun opened his door right in front of me and then closed it real quick as I got way too close! Flipping my shield up I turned around and told my wife Im gonna kick his door in as soon as he passes. She told me it wasnt worth it so I sucked it up and proceeded to the front of the line. I just dont like the fact that someone thought it was funny, to do that shit at the expense of my wife and my bike (my two babies).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 05:27 PM

I don't ever split lanes, I don't think it's worth some 'ya-hoo' opening the door in front of me to kill me.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by YZFr6-TX
I don't ever split lanes, I don't think it's worth some 'ya-hoo' opening the door in front of me to kill me.
I just do not think it is safe at all to split lanes any where; not trying to be a smart ass. Just safe!!!

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 05:40 PM

I would never even think about splitting lanes, it's way to dangerous to do. As in your story, there are way to many buttmuching turd packers out there that think doing that kind of crap is funny.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 05:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Depends on the situation... 95% of the roads here have pot holes between the lines, so splitting at speed isn`t the best idea. I have rode down the shoulder a few times instead of sitting in traffic in 90+ waiting for my bike (and me) to over heat. The shoulder usually has more crap on it than the lanes, but traveling at less than 25mph in a straight line its not bad, and you`re far enough away from any dickhead opening his door.

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 05:50 PM

I split lanes a lot but haven't had a car door opened on me yet. I've had a couple of yahoos drift up to and over the lane lines squeezing off the room to split but it's hard to say if it was on purpose with the exception of an incident in LA where I could see the guy watching me in his rearview mirror and laughing. If I think it's just not paying attention I beep my horn or if I'm next to them I'll tap on their window and give the international "look where you are going" sign by pointing @ my visor then @ me. I was tempted on the idiot in LA to do something more dramatic but he got his when the car in front of him stopped and he didn't because he was too busy messing with me to watch the traffic. Poetic justice. It seems like your choice to follow your wife's wishes worked out although it is tough to swallow the anger.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 07:21 PM

Insn't Ca the only place that they allow lane spliting. If they do, And from what I saw it seems like most sport bikes do split lanes. I would think in some instances it would be safer. Epsically when the 405 goes from 65MPH to 0MPH in a heart break. You don't want to be the one at the end of the row if you know what I mean.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 03:43 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by EdgeRanger
Insn't Ca the only place that they allow lane spliting. If they do, And from what I saw it seems like most sport bikes do split lanes. I would think in some instances it would be safer. Epsically when the 405 goes from 65MPH to 0MPH in a heart break. You don't want to be the one at the end of the row if you know what I mean.
I think CA is the only place it's legal. I was afraid to do it out there at first, but when you live 65 miles from where you work and are facing a 2-3 hour commute if you don't split, you learn to get over your fears real quick. It's not bad at all because for the most part people out there expect it and many will even give you room when they see you coming. There are some dickheads though that will squeeze you, turn on their washer fluid to squirt you, flick cigarettes at you, etc. You just get over it. It's easy when you realize that they will be stuck in traffic for another 2 hours just to go 5 miles while you'll be home in 15 minutes. I would usually find the biggest Harley I could and just tuck in behind them. What better to plow the road for you than one of those big bastards?

I miss being able to split lanes, but not enough to convince me to move back to California. Ever. There are a few people out there I'd like to save, but for the most part I wish it'd break off and sink into the ocean.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
I think CA is the only place it's legal. I was afraid to do it out there at first, but when you live 65 miles from where you work and are facing a 2-3 hour commute if you don't split, you learn to get over your fears real quick. It's not bad at all because for the most part people out there expect it and many will even give you room when they see you coming. There are some dickheads though that will squeeze you, turn on their washer fluid to squirt you, flick cigarettes at you, etc. You just get over it. It's easy when you realize that they will be stuck in traffic for another 2 hours just to go 5 miles while you'll be home in 15 minutes. I would usually find the biggest Harley I could and just tuck in behind them. What better to plow the road for you than one of those big bastards?

I miss being able to split lanes, but not enough to convince me to move back to California. Ever. There are a few people out there I'd like to save, but for the most part I wish it'd break off and sink into the ocean.
Whats wrong with Cali? Its like Disneyland..The happiest place on earth! As for finding a Harley and sticking right behind them so they can break traffic for you, I find motorcycle cops do a really good job of it too. People will move for them, and by the time any cars realize Im behind the cop, Im already passing another car.
I remember the first time I split lanes I was scared, but I feel as long as your a little afraid of it youll be alright, once you become over confident that when accidents happen due to carelessness.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 08:09 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by vaneo1
Whats wrong with Cali? Its like Disneyland..The happiest place on earth! As for finding a Harley and sticking right behind them so they can break traffic for you, I find motorcycle cops do a really good job of it too. People will move for them, and by the time any cars realize Im behind the cop, Im already passing another car.
I remember the first time I split lanes I was scared, but I feel as long as your a little afraid of it youll be alright, once you become over confident that when accidents happen due to carelessness.
The list of things that aren't wrong with Cali would be shorter....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode