Is this a good summer jacket? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Is this a good summer jacket?

I wanna buy this jacket

http://www.cyclestuffusa.com/nickyha...joerocket.html

does anyone know if it is any good in the summer, and does it offer good protection? and keep the heat out?

thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:38 AM

Looks like a pretty sweet jacket to me!!

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

love the looks! goes with my helmet perfect just want a jacket that won't make me hot as a dog in 90 degree weather.

thanks for any input all

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:35 AM

... the only effective jackets I have experienced for hot summer riding has be MESH !
... vents just ain't enough when the temps start creeping above 80 degrees
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

what about gloves?

my gloves now are super protective but are hot as hell.

any recommendations?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:28 PM

perforated fingerless gloves.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:43 PM

{... the only effective jackets I have experienced for hot summer riding has be MESH !
... vents just ain't enough when the temps start creeping above 80 degrees}

what are your guys opinions on mesh.im lookin into a jacket aslo.was lookin at alpinstars but i guess somthin cheaper would fit better into my budget.the one i was lookin at was 600 somthin but anyway i go to school in FL were its over 80 damn near year long and when i come hom eits in the summer so will realy only be riding in summer weather.but want somthin i kno will protect me when i go down.what is your take on mesh.i know not as good as leather.but any info would help
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:08 PM

Leather is not that hot when you are moving, it gets a little stuffy when sitting in traffic. I am sure the mesh keeps the skin cooler while riding around, but I would be willing to bet on that same hot day, the leather will keep your skin a lot cooler if you happen to be sliding down the road......there is no substitute for good ol leather!!!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:28 PM

Not a good choice in real hot weather.

Even similar designed jackets that are perforated in the front and rear have ventillation problems in the summer. If you are buying only one jacket, I'd recommend one that has the fabric panels on the arms, maybe on the sides, with perforation on the front panels and exhaust perforation at the top of the back (just under the neck), and at the rear of each shoulder if available. Wear your rain jacket over it when it gets cold.

If you are buying a dedicated summer use jacket you might want to try the Joe Rocket Phoenix. I and many others here own this jacket, and you can't beat the ventilation versus protection on this jacket. And the price is not real high.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UglyAngelX
Leather is not that hot when you are moving, it gets a little stuffy when sitting in traffic. I am sure the mesh keeps the skin cooler while riding around, but I would be willing to bet on that same hot day, the leather will keep your skin a lot cooler if you happen to be sliding down the road......there is no substitute for good ol leather!!!!
I don't necessarily agree with you on this one as far as the "keeping your skin a lot cooler if you happen to be sliding down the road". I am a firm believer that the ballistic mesh nylon will protect you just as well as leather. Now, keep sliding the same mesh jacket down the road and it's going to wear out.

MHO

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode