how long to inline 4's last - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

how long to inline 4's last

I seen a cbr600 for 3 grand and it has 30,000 miles on it, how long can these thing take a beating, and what goes wrong on most of them when they do go bad?

thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 PM

Dad has a bike with well over 50,000 on it some time back & still riding it with many more miles in mind.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Dad has a bike with well over 50,000 on it some time back & still riding it with many more miles in mind.
Smitty, that bike turned over 100,000 a couple of weeks ago on the way to California. It's at 107,000 now.

If that bike you're looking at is well maintained that mileage shouldn't hurt but you can likely find a lower mileage example. Have it looked at by a mechanic if you get serious about it and keep in mind that the mileage could hurt resale if you plan on getting rid of it soon. With good maintenance, they'll run a long time, but there are so many lower mileage bikes around it's usually not necessary to buy higher miles. On the other hand, if it's REALLY nice, passes a mechanics careful scrutiny, and the price is REALLY good, go for it!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 11:23 PM

Aloha
At 63 I whip & rip every Sat & Sun on a 225mi loop from sea level to 10,000 ft elevation and back down, on a 1993 Honda CBR 900RR that this day 7/8/04 has 145,883 mi on it, I just spooned on my 24th set of Dunlop tires, and did the 43rd oil change last week, this bike is bullet proof, never been apart, the valves have stayed at the same setting after the 35,000 mi one and only adjustment.

This bike is redden like a 125 MXer, pinned all the time, and loves the 7 to 11,000 power curve zone, always going 115-145mph, this bike gets no mercy, only good maintenance,3,000 mi oil changes, 9,000mi filter, all swing arm and delta link shock pivots have zirk fittings, this makes for good working Race Tech suspension

The main reason for the longevity of this classic machine is DURALUB oil additive.
I use 6oz with every 4qt of Honda 10-40, PLUS a magnet oil drain plug.

I also use Duralube on the chain with a ˝ inch wide art brush when the chain is hot after a ride, this takes only a few minutes, and worth the effort, you will never have tight spots in your chain, I can get 35,000+ mi out of a chain & sprocket set.

Mix a small amount of Duralub with wheel bearing grease, pop seals out and repack bearings every 4th tire change.

Funnel some in to the clutch cable, wow magic clutch pull and it will last a long time.

A low miles none ridden bike (wife whipped workaholic poseur owned) is prone to pitted shock shafts & fork tubes, endless electrical problems because of the battery always at a discharge and maybe a rats nest in the air box. “A good bike is a ridden bike”

Bottom line> Inline 4s take a pounding for a long time, just keep’em reved dude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode