Looking to purchase a bike. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Looking to purchase a bike.

I am a new rider here, for streetbikes anyway. I have been riding dirtbikes for about 9 years. I have ridden some street but not much. I am looking to buy a yamaha yzf-r6. I am unsure if i should go new or used. Any input would be helpful as well as anything else i should look for or look out for buying a street bike. I have signed up but have not taken a rider education course where i will get my license.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 09:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
IMO used can be as good as new. It just depends on where/who you buy the bike off of. For all you know the person who had it before you beat the thing to shit. Or maybe it was only ridden to church on sundays by a little old lady.

If I had the money I would definately go with a new one. And it sounds to me like you've been riding more than long enough to start out on a 600. Just be careful of that quick throttle response

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 12:09 AM

You can pick up a low mileage used bike piece of cake at a way lower price...

I saw plenty of 2001 F4i's going for around $5500, in perfect shape and low miles.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 11:37 AM

Take a look at the Suzy SV-650 then the SV-650s & decided if you want that much of a lean forward. If the regular riding position, since you are accustom to the dirt upright riding position, then the SV-650 can be fitted with a 1/2 fairing to break the wind.

Bike has bags of torque due to the V-twin power-plant & is a lot of fun to ride compared to a sportbike that is really NOT an ideal bike in city/town streets.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 04:16 PM

How about a Triumph Tiger, or a V-strom..........similiar riding position from a dirt bike.........similar being used loosely. Just my

And buy used.........why drop a perfectly brand new motorcycle?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 04:53 PM

You know, people talk about torquey engines and compare some engines to others... I think my F4i has a plenty torquey engine for being an inline 4. I really love this bike.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NovaHawk
I really love this bike.
And that is the perfect example of what you should buy........something to love. I couldn't agree more, I love my Sprint! Great comment NovaHawk!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 08:44 PM

Point well taken NovaHawk, but have you riden a Suzy SV-650 or the s version? I have & have a Yamaha YZF600r which is probably one of the best mid-range power of all the fours (comp from Kwacker ZZ-R600) & have riden the Honda F4i which cannot match mid-power or torque of the Kwacker or Yamaha 600r.

The Suzy SV-650 has that V-twin power-plant so it outdoes the 600r or the peaker F4i by Honda.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 12:21 AM

Well what I was meaning was... compared to a car even the worst of the torquey bikes has more get up and go than a car, right?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 12:56 PM

Surprised the cage people have not jumped on top of that one for the peaky m/c engines & especially the sportclass bikes have nothing when it comes to torque HP & the Harley-Davidson make most other m/cs look sick.

Snap & go accelleration is not torque of many m/cs, but HP at higher revs. How many cages do you see that have tachometers that read up to 20 thou & red line at something like 14 to 18 thou?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode