you think I can do it? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

you think I can do it?

planning on getting my motorcycle soon the 500R but I can't take my course till the end of july cuz its all booked up.

I have never ridin b4 and my question is do you think I can ride this bike home without killing myself? I know the basic comcept like how to change gears and stuff but I just want you guys opinion. Personally I think if I take it slow I could do it what you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 05:45 AM

Re: you think I can do it?

Quote:
Originally posted by d0hnj0e
planning on getting my motorcycle soon the 500R but I can't take my course till the end of july cuz its all booked up.

I have never ridin b4 and my question is do you think I can ride this bike home without killing myself? I know the basic comcept like how to change gears and stuff but I just want you guys opinion. Personally I think if I take it slow I could do it what you think?
Not going to say whether or not you CAN or CAN'T do it because it all depends on the person. Me personally, when I got mine, I rode it around base for a little while where there wasn't a whole lot of traffic, and I am glad that I did, because if I would've taken it out in town right away, I wouldn't be here. I would seriously find someone who has a truck and some tie-downs and have them bring it to your house for you. I wouldn't risk it because the first time you're riding a bike and learning, you don't want to be out in the middle of traffic with cars who probably won't even pay attention anyways. SO with that being said, PLEASE don't do it. But like I said, that's just MHO...

Be safe bro...

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 06:18 AM

You can have it delivered; it shouldn’t cost you any thing and if they say that it does than tell them they just lost the sale they will change their minds about charging you. Personally if you have never ridden before than that is what I would do.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 07:05 AM

At the VERY least you need to have an experienced rider explain countersteering before riding. It's a very simple process that's very difficult to explain or understand for the first time. It is the method of turning a motorcycle,especially when it must be done quickly min an emergency. It is the single most important thing to learn IMHO when first riding because it's completely opposite of how you would expect things to work. In short if you don't understand and react properly you'll turn toward whatever you're trying to avoid and have a bad wreck.

The of countersteering is to push on the left bar to make the bike lean/turn to the left and push on the right bar to make the bike lean/turn right.

Blah blah blah

Get'em to deliver it or better yet, don't take possesion until after the course so you're not tempted to ride it before you should.

Good question and very responsible of you to not just jump on and hope for the best. I'd bet that by this time next year you'll be a hell of a rider.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 08:44 AM

I'd have to agree with the general opinion.
Take the course then jump on the bike. You will inrease your confidance after some familiararity with a bike and of coures the knowledge you will gain.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 10:06 AM

Quote:

This is just me speaking, but I had my M2, and still had a friend ride the bike home for me. Most shops also offer delivery for around $50-60.
I then rode the bike 400kms - just around my neighbourhood - until I got comfortable enough to get into traffic, which I now do daily!
Look at it this way: you've got wonderful years of riding ahead! Why risk the shiny new bike & yourself for the sake of one ride home?
Get it delivered or get a friend to ride it home for you! If you're really stuck, give me a call & I can try & help!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:11 AM

Get one of the guys that works at the place you bought it from to drive it home for you. They should do it for free, if they don't tell them they lost the sale. Besides if it were me at work i'd jump at the chance to get off work to ride and also satisfy a customer. Definately don't ride in traffic your first time on a bike.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann

Quote:

If it's not a far ride, and you know how to ride and shift a dirtbike, i'd say you can do it. But if you aren't confident in your ability to operate a motorcycle in traffic, don't risk it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I talked with my uncle who has been riding for years and he will be glad to bring it home for me. Once I get in to my house I can practice on my street with no people around or traffic.

I will stay off public roads till I get my course done.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 05:00 AM

Good Idea

I had the same thought as everybody else. Even though I had completed the MSF course, I still had a friend come with me to ride the bike home for me. Glad to hear your Uncle is gonna help you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode