giving someone a ride?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

giving someone a ride??

is it hard to ride someone on the back of your bike...ive never tried....kinda been afraid too....but is it hard? can you tell a difference when they are on? and do they gotta lean with you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 04:26 PM

Re: giving someone a ride??

Quote:
Originally posted by gixxer12
is it hard to ride someone on the back of your bike...ive never tried....kinda been afraid too....but is it hard? can you tell a difference when they are on? and do they gotta lean with you?
It is not hard to ride someone on the back as long as they know what they are doing. Make sure that they've had some experience doing it. If they haven't make sure you talk to them on what they are supposed to do. I've made a list. My wife is an awesome passenger just because she knows what to do.

Make sure that they always hold on, and never let them take their feet off the pegs.

Make sure that they center themselves on the back. It's awkward when they are slightly more on one side than the other.

Make sure that when you go into a lean, that they kinda scoot their butt over a bit and lean a bit with you, but not too much. It's almost as if they stay straight with the bike.

Oh yeah, and make sure that when you're about to punch the throttle, you have a pre planned signal for them to get ready and hold on. Mine is me tapping my stomache, so it lets her know when to grab on.

Lastly and most importantly, tell them not to fight the damn bike when you are leaned over into a turn....nothing is harder than trying to fight that crap when you're leaned over and they want to lean the opposite way.

Hope this helps...

Post edited to say one more thing.... Remember that you have another human life on the back of what will most likely be the fastest and most dangerous thing someone can be on. Before you go and do something stupid(not that you would) like take them to 130 MPH, just try to imagine how you would feel knowing that you're responsible for someone else's death. Sorry to put a damper on things, but you have to think about this.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:07 AM
jab

Peronally I almost never give rides to anyone. I just always have an excuse, usually its that I dont have another helmut and I refuse to give rides without myself and passenger equip with gear. That way they dont take offense. I just dont get any pleasure out of giving rides, I know I a selfish b*&tard. Mainly its as S.R. rapist said, Im not comfortable putting their life in my hands to give them a quick thrill. If they want to ride a bike, I suggest they buy one, or go find a Harley guy, as they are usually more than willing. That being said I did give rides ocassionally in the past. I would take the advice Slip-on Rapist advised, except I wouldnt recomend them sliding over on the seat, as this will cause them to put presure on a peg to make the shift, and that is going to throw you off. For me I could feel it when they so much as turned their head, and i dont like it. Just my opinion

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:11 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by jab
Peronally I almost never give rides to anyone. I just always have an excuse, usually its that I dont have another helmut and I refuse to give rides without myself and passenger equip with gear. That way they dont take offense. I just dont get any pleasure out of giving rides, I know I a selfish b*&tard. Mainly its as S.R. rapist said, Im not comfortable putting their life in my hands to give them a quick thrill. If they want to ride a bike, I suggest they buy one, or go find a Harley guy, as they are usually more than willing. That being said I did give rides ocassionally in the past. I would take the advice Slip-on Rapist advised, except I wouldnt recomend them sliding over on the seat, as this will cause them to put presure on a peg to make the shift, and that is going to throw you off. For me I could feel it when they so much as turned their head, and i dont like it. Just my opinion
+1

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
I give my daughters (5, 6, and 11) rides all the time.. you gear them up teach them the right way to be a passenger and drive responsibly

My daddy brought me and my sister up riding as passengers and learning to ride on our own at age 6.... and we're still here

Ditto on Slip-On's suggestions...

If you are inexperienced rider .. I would def. say wait till you are more experience in handling the bike cause yes a passenger does change it's handling.. even a 6 yr old on the back can affect the bike

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 03:32 PM

I might be wrong about the whole 'butt shifting' thing... The only thing that my wife said was that, say we're going left, she just slightly scoots it over. But now that you said it may make the ride a little "uncomfortable" then I will tell her. Thanks!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 03:48 PM

While I've never sat on the rear seat of a sportbike, I can't see why anyone would want to. It looks uncomfortable as hell.

One of my MSF instructors recommended strapping a 50lb bag of dog food to the back of your bike to see what a difference just that amount of weight makes. Dunno if he was serious but it makes sense.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hapmstr
One of my MSF instructors recommended strapping a 50lb bag of dog food to the back of your bike to see what a difference just that amount of weight makes.
What is that going to tell you? How to ride with half of a midget on the back?

But seriously, he didn't tell you to put the dog food on the back to see what it would be like with a passenger. He told you to do that so you would have food for all the fat and nasty chicks that won't leave you alone!!!

Hey, has anyone ever been asked by a rather LARGE woman for a ride on your bike? What did you say to them? I was asked once by a chick probably twice my size(probably because she thought I looked tasty) if she could have a ride. Now....I am an a$$hole sometimes, which is just the honest truth, but for some reason I felt bad for the big gorilla and said that I didn't have a helmet.

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore...........where am I?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:13 PM

thats all good advice, but in my experence.. It doesnt matter what they do unless your at a stop or under 10 mph. thats the only time i ever notice my passenger. I was coming up to a stop and my g/f decided to readjust her self as i was putting my foot down and that almost turned out bad.

My ZRX1200 didnt care if i had a passenger or not, it was very flickable no matter how they leaned or move their body. It didnt care. but its not exactly a sport bike either... Then my latest addition the 610lb Zx1000 doesnt seem to notice passengers either.. Maybe some day ill try a bike that weighs under 500lbs. I can see the lighter bikes being more sensitive to weight.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slip-On Rapist
What is that going to tell you? How to ride with half of a midget on the back?
Nah. I think his point was that having added weight on the bike can make a big difference and if you can't handle an extra 50lbs, you definitely aren't going to be able to handle a whole other person on the back of the bike. Personally I haven't tried it because I don't care how much difference it makes, I don't give rides. Just my personal policy.

The only time I'd even consider making a change in that policy would be if I were out riding with someone and his bike broke down. Even then it would probably only be if we didn't have another alternative, because I always have my phone with me after all. Hell, I might even offer to be the one on back if he had any experience with passengers. Dunno. Guess I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode