Cold Tire Lowside? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Cold Tire Lowside?

I know this didn't happen on the track, but I think you guys are better at answering this question. I just did something stupid coming out of a cruise night tonight... I made a left turn at from a light, and kicked the rear out lowsided the bike. I believe it kicked out because of cold tire and too much lean and throttle. But a couple of my friends seem to think that cold tire had nothing to do with it. One of them said that if it's cold tire it would have gone down gently? I don't understand how it would be different because once the tire loose traction it has no traction. I was less than 1/4 throttle and was rolling it on, I never snap on the throttle. I'm just puzzled at the fact that they're trying to say it's all because I wacked on the throttle when leaned over. I had done this plenty of times before with more lean and throttle except with the tires warm, so I know cold tire definitely played a role. I also know for a fact that I can roll on full throttle 1st gear at almost full lean coming out of a corner if I have hot tires. I know because I did this at the Bus Stop (turn 9) at Pocono East.

What I want to know is, how the hell is a lowside caused by cold tire different from a lowside caused by too much throttle? My friend said if it's cold tire it would have gone down gently instead? But I think if it loose traction it would go down as fast as just breaking loose.

Last edited by AirKnight; 06-24-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:22 PM

Cold tyres will always break when the bike is leaned & wick is turned up. That is why one takes off in a sensible manner & gets the tyres warmed up. A bit to much confidence & one can land on their ear in toot-sweet time. Besides when leaned over the tyre patch is much smaller then when the bike is in upright position.

Each time I fire up my bike, to take off for my 5 to 6 hr spin the first few sharp turns are taken with care.

I am, though lost on these words being "--coming out of a cruise night tonight--" which sounds as if you had been out & riding SO the tyres would not have been cold. So you will have to look at what was on the pavement or just how hard you hit the throttle & in what gear.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

LOL! Cruise nights as in the ones that you have a lot of cars and bikes parked and people BS'ing for hours. So the bike had not been running for about 2 hours.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:34 PM

Cold tires perform about almost exactly as riding on water. And yes, once you break your tires loose the have much less traction.
Thats the idea behind anti-lock brakes. The stopping power or grip of the tire peaks just before they begin to slide.

I'm going to assume you're a faily new rider becuase I routinely break my tires loose on the road paint or when its raining and have never come close to going down. Automatic now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 03:10 AM

Probably oil/sand/gravel IMHO. If it just went out all of a sudden you woulda had to open the throttle pretty aggressively or ridden onto something like the above list.

Cold tire is an option but doubt it by your description.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Why is cold tire not likely by my description? I actually touched the tire right after and it was as cold as my helmet. The bike had been sitting for a couple of hours, and that was about the first turn I made... I have never gone down on cold tire before, but I guess my ego got the better of me last night when I tried to corner too aggressively... I run Pilot H2 Medium compound on the back BTW.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 02:31 PM

I had a cold tire HIGH SIDE...which wasn't fun at all. Plus, I had a brand new tire, and the roads on base are blacktop, but have a bit more gravel in the mixture than any m/c'ist would care for. So, brand new tire, cold pavement, cold tire, plus not the best road in the world makes for a disaster waiting to happen. I am still nervous about leaning the bike over now. Before my accident, I would shred the turns without a care in the world. Nothing like a rider that hasn't been humbled by going down. I have much much much more respect for these machines now than I did.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 04:01 PM

AirKnight: Then you have never been at a road race to see the competitors going around the circuit to warm up their tyres? Or possibly you have not seen any of the road racers on TV out & warming up their tyres which MUST be telling you something (or not taken into consideration) AND in the first few laps the competitors are not pushing to the max as the already pro scuffed tyres have not warmed up enough to where they can go that 110%.

Pity for then it might have helped you to understand the dangers of earing a bike around a bend & cracking the throttle to it, just a hair to much when the well woren in tyres are still COLD.

So you are going to have to learn that come Autumn it will take longer to warm up the tyres, that you must be watching what is on the road be it a bit of gravel, sand or what.

Also in the Autumn do remember when honking at a good pace that the shadowed parts of the roads can also be cold (cold even on warmed up tyres is not as good as wamed tarmac & warmed tyres) or that the leaves on the road might be like a maze of grease when your tyres hit them.

So much can put you to your ear very quickly which is the difference between a self-balanced cage with four wheels & a two-wheeled m/c ESPECIALLY to those that have not taken many of the above matters into consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode