how fast will I out grow... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

how fast will I out grow...

a ninja ex500 as my first bike? or should I be asking will I out grow this bike?

Your opinions mean alot to me thx in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 09:44 AM

I have a 600 as my first bike, and got used to the speed and acceleration within 2 months... I don't think I'll ever "outgrow" it though. If ever I should happen to master a 600, then I'll move up... so basically, I think I'm going to stick with a 600 for the rest of the time I ride.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 10:39 AM

Are you a new rider? If so, the EX may be good for you. You probably will desire more handling from a bigger bike and the extra power is always nice as your riding skill improves.

I rode an EX for a couple of years and had a lot of fun on it, most imprtantly, I learned alot on it. It's limitations can benefit you by teaching you to improve your skills.

Last edited by VYPIR; 06-24-2004 at 10:41 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 AM

VYPIR: Has put it down very nicely & I back him. In some cases other find the 500 is really all they need. No matter what the 500 is a good learning bike not only in the shills or riding & staying alive, but also some of the mechanical matters of where "I have this noise at the side" & we latch it down to the rear chain being totally dry & extremely loose, to possibly the gearbox sprocket was coming loose. Just so many others like most do not realize the small batteries in the bikes have to be serviced & not abused in use.

It can go on & on. Better to make the errors on your first bike, being a 500 twin, rather then a more costly 600---not to mention the beginners spills & with the cost of egg-like plastic costing a mint better to not be with a bike not usable as you are saving up for said products.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:10 PM

i wil have to disagree.. I had a yzf600r as my first bike and i put frame sliders on it and learned from there. I would have to argue and say a 600 for a first bike is a great learning too as long as you have patience
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 09:28 PM

Depends on your size and confidence. I really feel you could start on a hayabusa if you were deathly afraid of it. Once you get comfortable with a bike you then may start doing the stupid stuff.

Anyway, I really think you should consider a ZZR600. Sit on it, see how it feels. if it feels to big then get a EX500. Ex500 is a pretty nice bike, but most people will always want more.

Oh yeah and GET FRAME SLIDERS! :-)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:35 AM

Re: how fast will I out grow...

From most of the riders I ride with...YES you will out grow it quick, like two months after you have it. I started off with a CBR 929RR and I'm loving it. If you decide to go bigger than a 600, just work on your throttle response and you'll be fine. Good luck w/ your decision.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

I don't know where are you guys are from, but I am from ontario, canada and with these rates and me only being 22 they won't insure me with something classed as a supersport.

I would get one if I could afford the insurance. For the 2003 ninja EX50 they want 1400$ CDN and thats with liability only. If I was to get like a r6 I would have to get full coverage cuz I wouldn't want to lose out of the money I would put in the bike and insurance would be like 4k+.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Oh and just to let you guys know I weigh in at 150lbs and about 5'11. I a not a big guy.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:47 AM

I have an EX500 and I love it. Instead of getting a bigger bike as my second bike, I think I might just buy a NEW Ex500, as opposed to the 91 that I have now. The Handling of the new bike will be much better, smoother etc. The other nice thing about the EX500 is that parts are available cheap on Ebay because its so popular a bike.

Gas prices are going no where but up, the ex500 gets about 50mpg, and to me that's another good selling point of the bike. There's plenty of power to get me in lots of trouble quick, so I'm of the school of thought that 500 is all I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode