Intersection paranoia - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Intersection paranoia

Being more than aware of the stats, I've staved off a few potential intersection collisions (where the cage makes a left turn right into you) by slowing & being able to brake in time. It boggles my mind that these people "can't see" us!!

So today, I tried something different! Everytime I approached an intersection where a car was getting ready to turn left, I started waving to the driver well before I got to the intersection! It sure got me noticed! Although I bet there are a few confused drivers out there: "I didn't think I knew any bikers"!

Any of you have other suggestions for dealing with this scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 05:07 PM

Re: Intersection paranoia

Quote:
Originally posted by Shyryder
Being more than aware of the stats, I've staved off a few potential intersection collisions (where the cage makes a left turn right into you) by slowing & being able to brake in time. It boggles my mind that these people "can't see" us!!

So today, I tried something different! Everytime I approached an intersection where a car was getting ready to turn left, I started waving to the driver well before I got to the intersection! It sure got me noticed! Although I bet there are a few confused drivers out there: "I didn't think I knew any bikers"!

Any of you have other suggestions for dealing with this scenario?
I don't do this at intersections, but whenever I pass a semi truck from the rear on any road, I start honking the horn on my bike...no way to be sure you get noticed I guess..

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 05:23 PM

You can always just give the finger.........

That always seems to get you noticed.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:34 PM

Shyrider that word you wanted is being "cut off" & a deadly one to riders as the cage drivers do not care who is behind them from most it can be is a bump from another cage that would be in the wrong or so they feel. Forgetting it is a m/cist.

Personally I keep well back ALL THE TIME as I feel that "save zone" is most important in survival. That also gives one time to realize stupid cage driver is turning left without giving any signal & HAS NOT done a shoulder check.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 12:18 AM

There is a technique I was taught for my CDL. We were told to start slowing before entering the intersection. This gives a vehicle a better prep for a stop. This may seem like it takes away from time but it works. Now I don't always do this in my car or bike, but I'm sure when you feel you may get cut off it should help out.

I had drivers turn left right in front of me when I was driving a school bus, a BIG YELLOW bus! How the hell do you miss that?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Shyrider that word you wanted is being "cut off" & a deadly one to riders as the cage drivers do not care who is behind them from most it can be is a bump from another cage that would be in the wrong or so they feel. Forgetting it is a m/cist.

Personally I keep well back ALL THE TIME as I feel that "save zone" is most important in survival. That also gives one time to realize stupid cage driver is turning left without giving any signal & HAS NOT done a shoulder check.
Man you ain't kidding about the 'no signal' when turning. People down here in GA don't EVER use their signals. I sometimes wonder how these people are allowed to drive on the road.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty

I always slow down - it's the only reason I've been able to stop ALL THESE TIMES I'VE BEEN CUTOFF!!!! &^#%#^@&
Unbelievable! The only thing I can attribute it to, is that car drivers are not "conditioned" to see or expect anything smaller in size than a car! So we don't even register. Kind of like "not seeing" a motorcycle taking up a parking spot in a mall.....

On the other hand, I was in my car the other day, & was about to move to the right, into the slow lane. I did a shoulder check, and then for whatever reason, decided to check again.. Good thing. A guy in jeans/t-shirt comes flying by on a blue R1 (or R6) - had to be doing 160-170km - in the slow lane. For every 100 of us that rides safely, there's going to be the one that doesn't - and is the one that the public uses as a "typical" example!

OK! Rant over for now
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 06:10 AM

just my but you may be encouraging people to turn in front of you by slowing down??

If you slow down they may think you are stopping/turning/have a red light etc. I don't have many people turn in front of me and I maintain the limit through most intersections unless someone is doing something to really concern me as to their intentions.

I recommend moving to the far right of the lane to give more distance from the car that may turn in front of you, turn on high beam (don't flash it though as they sometimes mistake this for a signal to go, who knows why but they do), cover the brake, don't speed too much as they won't see a small and fast object coming, but not too slow either. How's that for the run-on sentence of the year??

Again, just my but I rarely have someone cut me off and I ride in SoCal where people are not the brightest drivers.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:41 AM

I do not flash my lights & NEVER give any hand signals bar a small salute to someone that was coming out of their driveway, back alley or road onto the main one hit the brakes in realizing I was the m/c rider.

I will never give one a dirt hand signal for one never knows who is in the cage let alone their attatude.

The slowing down at the intersection is something I often tend to do, but no matter what I go down a gear even if it is a green light for me as I prefer the perky engine to be able to help me in surviving. After all most will have speed cog boxes & a far cry from our days of three or four---for old sods like myself of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode