Alot of questions... (long) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Question Alot of questions... (long)

Hi all,

I am new to this forum as well as bikes. I am 22 and live in Ontario, Canada and I decided that I want to finally get into riding. I know absolutely nothing about bikes excepts for all the obvious things like they are fast, very stylish, and fast oh wait I said that already...

Anyhow, I come to you guys for some advice/knowledge. I am planning on doing a course within a few weeks and then get my m1. I am just going to be starting a new job in july and by next spring I will have more then enough money to set myself up with everything I need. But in the mean time I would like to do some research to make sure I know everything there is to know before going out and buying one of these machines.

Due to high insurance rates I am thinking I should looking at buying something within the 500cc class. First question is do I buy new or used? Keep in mind money isn't really a big deal. Second is the gear. Should I go expensive or just something avg.? And third can some one here give me a link to some site that I can learn more about the mechanical side of motocycles.

Keep in mind I know nothing about bikes but thats why I am here so early. Like I said I want to make sure I don't get something I will regret later on. The more info and links you guys can provide for me the better.

Thanks in adnvaced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:36 PM

Well your on the right track. Bassicaly what you want to do is read read read. Pick up Twist of the wrist 2 by Keith Kobe. I still need to do that. Take the course. If you have never been on a bike before. You may want to get a 250 instead of the 500 you may be ok with a 500. Buy used. Why waste your money. You need to learn everthing. Go to new rider forums and what not and read read read. When I started out looking for a street bike this was the first place I came I learned a lot from these guys on here. And there not qutie as harsh as some of the other forums out there. Do you know how to drive a stick shift car? If not thats a good place to start. Learn how a clutch works and shifting gears it will be very helpfull once you get on a bike.

As far as gear. Remember Gear is what is between you and the pavement when you fall. How well do you want to protect yourself. A lot of people will reccomond a Shoei or Arai helemt, as they are held in high regard. However when I went to get a helemet I tried on both of them many different models and they didn't fit me quite right. So I got an HJC which is cheaper but it fits me very well. I'm also starting to think that my jacket is to big beucase on long trips at constact speeds its batters me a little bit. Get stuff that fits you well and will not flap around in the wind. You can easly spend 2k on gear alone. Dont' rush in to buying gear as you don't have a bike yet. A lot of people reccomind Alpinestar Gear. Boots Pants Jackets. Rain Gear, Warmer gear cooler gear. Undergear. THis website has a ton of info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode