Close Call - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Close Call

I had to share this close call I had this morning coming home from work. I was driving north on US 31 from Grand Haven headed for home in Muskegon. I was was on my bike riding behind a car. The car starts swerving a little and is driving at about 90 mph. Just as we get near Muskegon and the highway divider starts this car starts to swerve a lot more so I start backing off getting away from this car and all of a sudden the car drives off the road and slams into the divider and spining. I start braking hard and I think man this car is going to spin back into my lane and I'm going to t-bone this thing. The car some how stays away from me and I stop. I then drive around the car and pull over and get off my bike to go see if the person is ok and another person stops also. The person that wreks the cars gets it started again and takes off with the car all smashed up at a high rate of speed again. A guy in a truck stops and asks if I'm ok and I tell him I'm fine. Man talk about the crap be scared out of you! My knees were shaking and I get back on my bike and head for home. I think that is the biggest close call I have ever had riding my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:19 PM

Glad you're ok. That's pretty weird though. The car slammed into a divider at 90 mph, and starts up again? I wonder what happened to the driver..maybe he fell asleep.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Unas_the_Slayer
Glad you're ok. That's pretty weird though. The car slammed into a divider at 90 mph, and starts up again? I wonder what happened to the driver..maybe he fell asleep.
Proalby Dunk as he was swerving a few times as mentioned. You have two optioins here Back off or Go around this mofo. You best option is to back way off. and keep a good eye on him and be prepard. Maybe go down a gear or two to be ready to get the fuck out of there if need be also you will be able to slow quicker.

Glad your ok, everyone ride safe. Be alert.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 04:46 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I had a similar experience while in California. I was coming home on Highway 4 (4 lanes each direction) in the left lane and a guy tried to change lanes too quickly and lost control of the car. It started to go into a spin and at one point was travelling sideways in the lane right next to me. All I could think to do was click it down a gear and punch it before he slid into my lane and hit me. I saw in the mirror that he did come into my lane and had I not gotten out of the way he'd have probably killed me by putting me into the concrete divider.

I think the biggest thing I learned from that was just to be aware at all times. It happened towards the end of a 65 mile commute.

Always be ready for stupidity because it runs rampant in cage drivers.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Always be ready for stupidity because it runs rampant in cage drivers.
How I wish that it was confined to cagers.

James.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 01:22 PM

stimpy: Feel like the others it was a drunk & like others I go down a cog or two & ready to snap by them rather then be close to them. Just as spicerish did. It is one of the small advantages a m/cist has in the accelleration of our bikes along with stopping power & being narrower for after that the cages win due to mass & weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode