Battery Problem...please help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Battery Problem...please help

Don't know where this post should go, so I just stuck it here.

Ok, here's my problem. I bought 2 brand new batteries for my bike. The first time, I think it went completely dead because I wasn't riding it. That's fine. But now, the second one that I just bought about a month ago has gone dead. I started the bike and let it warm up and revved it up a bit just to give it some attention. Well, the other day, I tried to start it, and it's dead!

This leads me to a few questions.

1. - Does the bike have to be physically moving for the battery to keep a charge?

2. - Will it die by just starting it up and letting it warm up a bit?

3. - What could possibly be wrong with the bike to where the battery is not keeping a charge?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 06:01 PM

See if I can help here. First of all a m/c can keep a battery well charged IF the rider will keep there revs up & give it some miles.

Which sort of answers your start, warm up, & shut down again.

Also one needs to realize the greatest drain on the battery is the STARTING & obviously runing at idel of 1,200 rpm is NOT giving it a chance to do the charging.

Personally on most regular riding position bikes to sportbikes the engine has to be churning over at 3 thou or better.

Short runs & constant starting are real had on the battery.

Personally I like to go out & honk on the hwy for a few yrs at above 3 grand for i know all is going along well.

All m/cist with an electric starting system should have a Battery Tender (this is a trade name for a firm that puts out the best for small batteries on m/cs, lawnmores, & such) which will also pay off in the hot summer days. The Battery Tender can be hooked up & it if reads Green meaning it is being held on Storage then all is well, but if it read red & charging then let it do its thing & in 10 minutes, 30 minutes or an hr it will be on Storage. This is only a 1.25 amp charger yet cuts off once it has done the job.

That should answer your questions & a few others you might have in mind. Though I will leave #3 question alone for it could be what I have mentioned above. Or else time to get it into a shop to have something corrected & from then on do as I so suggested.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
See if I can help here. First of all a m/c can keep a battery well charged IF the rider will keep there revs up & give it some miles.

Which sort of answers your start, warm up, & shut down again.

Also one needs to realize the greatest drain on the battery is the STARTING & obviously runing at idel of 1,200 rpm is NOT giving it a chance to do the charging.

Personally on most regular riding position bikes to sportbikes the engine has to be churning over at 3 thou or better.

Short runs & constant starting are real had on the battery.

Personally I like to go out & honk on the hwy for a few yrs at above 3 grand for i know all is going along well.

All m/cist with an electric starting system should have a Battery Tender (this is a trade name for a firm that puts out the best for small batteries on m/cs, lawnmores, & such) which will also pay off in the hot summer days. The Battery Tender can be hooked up & it if reads Green meaning it is being held on Storage then all is well, but if it read red & charging then let it do its thing & in 10 minutes, 30 minutes or an hr it will be on Storage. This is only a 1.25 amp charger yet cuts off once it has done the job.

That should answer your questions & a few others you might have in mind. Though I will leave #3 question alone for it could be what I have mentioned above. Or else time to get it into a shop to have something corrected & from then on do as I so suggested.
Thank you sir! I think that answers my question, because I was just starting it up and letting it warm up and then shutting it down, as I can't ride it right now. I'm excited though because it's all fixed and now I can put insurance back on it and ride again!!! Hopefully when I try to break in the back tire this time, it won't lose traction again and throw me off!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 07:23 PM

There is a solution to your problem, it's called a Battery Tender...most bike dealers / shops carry em...it will keep your battery charged, w/o costing ya much $$$...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 04:34 AM

The worst thing you can do to a battery is fill it and start the bike.
To make a battery last fill it, let it stand for 20-30 minutes. Then put it on a charger (Battery Tender) untill it is FULLY charged. Doing this will make your batteries last alot longer. I have one Battery tender and five bikes. They all have a connector and get their turn about once a month. Most of my batteries last about 5 to 7 years with no problems.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020
The worst thing you can do to a battery is fill it and start the bike.
To make a battery last fill it, let it stand for 20-30 minutes. Then put it on a charger (Battery Tender) untill it is FULLY charged. Doing this will make your batteries last alot longer. I have one Battery tender and five bikes. They all have a connector and get their turn about once a month. Most of my batteries last about 5 to 7 years with no problems.
Well, ya learn something new every day! Thanks everyone.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 01:24 PM

I knew this m/c sight was good for something else other then general chat or the ordeal of trying to advise others, that know nothing about m/cs, what might be the proper steps to take & etc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I knew this m/c sight was good for something else other then general chat or the ordeal of trying to advise others, that know nothing about m/cs, what might be the proper steps to take & etc.
Mr. Smitty sir,
Might you be trying to imply that I know nothing of m/c's?

Anyways, so I bought the new battery. I want to make sure that I charge it correctly. I put in the fluid for the battery, let it sit for 30 minutes, and am about ot hook it up to the charger. What is the correct amperage for the battery? Also, on the charger, I have 3 options... 1 for manual, one for low maintainance, and one for maintainance free. I selected the maintainance free option. Is this correct? Also, how long am I supposed to leave it on there? Sorry....never had to change a m/c battery before. Thanks everyone for your help.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

For anyone who cares... I figured out how to do it. I got a battery charger that had a 2 amp trickle charge on there that would visually tell you when the battery is fully charged. Maybe I need to quit sportbikes and go over to the short-busses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode