Any of you watching the TT? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Any of you watching the TT?

The Isle of Man TT, started in 1907 will be showing to-day, on Speed, on the 5th same time, 7th same, 9th & 11th around two hours later then prior times. You can find it on the Speed programs. Actually in my case it is a 7:00pm & mid-night as I am in the Pacific Time Zone.

To those new to riding this is a definate MUST as it is the ONLY local street & town racing showen on the world. Just one lap is 37.75 miles & yes they lap more then once.

So basically no race like it in the world & the speeds will simply shock you not to mention how close some come come to pranging, not to mention a number that prang & YES there is sidecar racing not to mention bikes & classes like 125, 250, 400, 600 to 1000cc.

No you will not see the MotoGP group of racers or the AMA group. Fact is many of these will look like OLD riders, but they can really handle whatever they race.

I have had the privilage of following the TT since it restarted after WWII in '47, even was accepted to race (I held an CMA Expert license in '50 & '51) over there on two occasions only injured myself when racing here in Cdn., so that is as far as I ever got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I am honestly surprised that no one seems to have taken any interest in the greatest m/c race in the world.

Possibly some have, but not made a comment. To those new to m/cing & with some interest in the AMA or MotoGP road races the TT is SO different that it is impossible to even give it a sketchy description.

You might have a problem with their English, Welsh, Scottish, & Irish accents to pick up what they are saying, but believe me these are some darn cool rider laping at speeds that would frighten so many to-days pros.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 08:26 PM

iomtt

ur absolutely right, this is one of the most amazing events I've ever tuned in. breathtaking stuff, fascinating characters, literally producing a slackjawed string of oohs & ahhs. I agree, maybe others aren't posting, but for their sake this thing is a crime to miss. My sched lists a few more broadcasts this week (seen two already), but doesn't specify what events will be shown when. If you have any more info, or would be kind enuf to share yr own insights/memories, you'd be doing us a service

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

playrink: As you can see we only get 1 hr each time. Like Sunday is a crazy day & not being showen. We might see some of it, but it is a big party time & no racing.

The first of the screaming sidecar events have been held, but not on the video though feel we will see it on the 7th. I know who won, but will leave that for you to view.

You simply have to play it by ear as to what is being sent to use & simply soak it in.

I already know of some of the changes for 2005 as that comes in the reports from the TT. They try to keep the TT fans up to date as to what is going on, & even cover other events like the NorthWest200, riders & such. Still unless one knows them & understands the Brits & Irish it really does not make sense.

So just look upon it as being the 7th, 9th & finally the finish on the 11th with possibly some repeats.

Needless to say we missed out on the week prior to all the practicing which means so much to the competitors & yes the fans are there a week in advance.

Some of the cottage owners rent off their homes to trusted fans & go off to Spain or something for a few weeks with hope that when back home the cottage will be in good shape. Usually they are for some of the fans have rented said homes, cottages, grounds, etc., for a number or yrs.

Every garage or shack avaliable is rented off to the competitors for their work on the machines.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 10:53 PM

next broadcast in NYC is Mon 10pm (conflicting w/game 7 Stanley Cup final) - but there's always 3am! Only drawback is a newfound inability to rail about slim pickins on the tube despite millions of channels. I think I got from yr posts the idea that you never entered the actual race, but have you ever been there/ridden the roads, or harbor illuminating anecdotes, stuff the viewer could augment the broadcast with? [you'll have to excuse me, many have said I should have become a detective or lawyer, something to absorb unrelenting curiosity
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:15 AM
jab

Hey Smitty, thanks for letting us know, I will definately be watching whats left. Has any of it aired yet(mon. am)? I first heard of the Isle of Man, and the tt about a year ago when one of the Mags did a two part story on it, By the guy who I think recently wrote a book on it, I cant remember his name. It was a great article and Ive been dreaming of going their to see it ever since. ok ok I dream of riding.....but then I wake up
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

You are right in that you have read my post accurately. In both cases I was injured & could not go over to race at the TT. I did receive two 16mm reels to study on the event before I would have gone over & they were returned.

No I have not gone over to compete, attend or even see the event, but have been following it through basically Brit m/c weeklies & monthlies along with letters from Brit friends.

I am a keen follower of the Paris to Dakar Rally since 2nd day it started 26 yrs ago due to a write-up in a Brit m/c mag & in the last number of yrs it has been on Speed with 1/2 hr blips.

Sort of like a m/cing I get to know the the specs on those I am interested in & have a few of them myself, or had some of the older bikes in the past. In this end in my garage is an '87 Yamaha TZR250 with many TZ-250 goods, '97 Yamaha YZF600r & '00 Honda 929 of which two are licensed & ridden constantly (being basically 3 days of each week, of the riding season, & from 5 to 6 hrs each time) plus the fact that legally I started riding in '46 & racing from '47 till '89.

You will NOT see me comment on Cruisers or main like of HD bikes to even the latest in dirt comp irons.

I try to perk up regulars & fellow riders about events like the TT, SSDT, ISDE, & Paris to Dakar.

jab: Not yet for Monday. Look up Speed times & in my listings that you must change to your time zone as I list them in the Pacific Time Zone so expect to pick up the 1 hr at 7:00pm my time.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 07:27 AM

That was a pretty amazing show. The trees and buildings flying by gave you a real sense of speed that you just don't get watching a superbike race on a flat track. Then again I'd hate to hit one of those objects going 180mph.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 11:04 AM

Amazing race. Maybe someday I'll see it first hand. Slam a bunch of pints and hit the course after the racers are done for the day!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 03:59 PM

Smitty, I've decided you're now committed to providing daily commentary after the respective events. This is truly transporting, & yr thoughts are greatly appreciated. Someone w/good organizational skills shd put together a group ride to/on the Isle. Also, being a canuck, aren't you excited by the Flames?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode