Newbie Question about swingarms - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Question about swingarms

Yo..Im new to the board and riding, but i just wanted to know other than for show why do people stretch the swingarm on there bike? Does this slow the bike down in anyway. I also wanted to know how much it cost and is it possible to do a wheelie on a bike with one. (not planning on doin any wheelie's no time soon when i get my bike) just wanted to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 03:38 AM

A good friend of mine is getting his swingarm extended by about 4 inches I think, not sure. I honestly don't know a good reason why he would do it other than show, but (correct me if I am wrong please) the steering response is cut down a bit, and it will take a little more to throw it into a turn. I was always under the impression that they made a bike a certain way because of optimal performance, but once again, I could be wrong.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 04:15 AM
jab

An extended swingarm helps keep your front end down in hard straight line exeleration (drag racing)!!! and yes, drag bikes corner like shit. Although I believe kawi extended their swingarms a little from prev. years, although I could be wrong about that!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 07:21 AM

Only those in drag racing need to have the swining arm extended & after that it is strictly for posers.

The design of the bike was carefully studied by the engineers as to its handeling ability on the hwy, in town, &, in some cases, in road racing.

One might read the the rake was altered a fraction in the very latest model or possibly the pivoting point of the s/arm is set more forward to also give the bike 1/4" or 3/8" longer wheel base.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:52 AM

I was a Carolina Boy up until about 3 yrs back....I lived in Raleigh and a lot of people had the swingarms extended....mainly it was for show, but some actually ran the track (drag strip) and it helps keep the front wheel down on the strip. You can get one that is adjustable, so it can be used for show/strip and adjusted for regular riding. You would need to have 2 chains if you went that route and the tools for removal and replacement of the chains. I do not know anyone in that area that does the extension like that, but in Raleigh, there is a guy who can do most anything with aluminum and he is great and prices reasonable.....I think his name is Keenan Lawrence...Lawrence Welding or something like that, if you are interested, I could get his info for you, just PM me. I busted a shifter bracket tab on my bike and he fabricated a new one and it looks stock minus the cast markings and is holding up fine over 3 yrs. I saw a swingarm he did for a local guy there and it was 100% quality, they guy even polished it out and had no air hole marks or anything imperfections.......he had several before from other people that had the imperfections. He is reasonable, but not cheap.....but you get the best work possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode