In the "Zone" - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

In the "Zone"

So I got my M2 last fall & bought an ex500 - after lurking on this forum for so long! Had a wonderful couple of months riding, mostly in the neighbourhood, the odd foray out on to more major roads. No highways yet - I know when I'll be ready!
Just as I know I'm hooked, winter descends on the great white north! Now I lack the intestinal fortitude of you more experienced riders so we prep & store our mc's. Flash forward to May...
I had been holding off getting the bike out. So many posts on the local boards on riders going down. Sure, some were squids, doing their thing. But others were just a case of cages not being used to seeing us out there.
Finally, after oil/filter change, battery back in, I'm out on the road again. Another 100km of riding around the block, just to get used to everything! Then out on to the roads. Constantly reminding myself to stay loose on the grips - white knuckle syndrome! Lifting the visor at every stoplight - must be that newbie panting thing going on. It all feels so strange.
Then something wonderful happens. I'm into a lot of sports, running, etc, and often get into "the zone", this place where the miles fly by effortlessly, where you know your opponents every move before it happens... All of a sudden, while I was riding, it seemed like my peripheral vision opened up, and I was completely aware of everything around me. Hands were relaxed, breathing was even, cage moves were predicted before they happened. It was amazing. I just never expected it to happen on an mc - I always assumed it happened under great physical/mental exertion (e.g.sports).
Got home & just floated on clouds the rest of the day.
Pointless ramble! Blush! Just thought I'd share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Congratulations!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:43 PM

There it is skyrider-----a fantastic feeling when the light comes on & things seemingly click like they should so you realize that something has happend to bring on this great feeling or being awake & alert to the roads, traffic & the m/c..

Do not become TO sure of yourself & since you have used the word "zone" I try to point out to riders to leave themself a GOOD "safe zone" from the vehicle in front of them be it a cage or a fellow m/cist.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 03:45 AM

Oh sh*t...I thought that this thread was yet ANOTHER commercial for Auto Zone.

A cool thing to do, especially when you only have a couple days of riding experience, is find an empty straightaway and redline it in 6th gear and see how fast you can go. Then watch your peripheral vision close in on the sides as you get faster and faster.... By the way.... I was TOTALLY just kidding.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Slip-On Rapist
Oh sh*t...I thought that this thread was yet ANOTHER commercial for Auto Zone.

A cool thing to do, especially when you only have a couple days of riding experience, is find an empty straightaway and redline it in 6th gear and see how fast you can go. Then watch your peripheral vision close in on the sides as you get faster and faster.... By the way.... I was TOTALLY just kidding.
Funny you posted that but I actually did suggest to my daughter to open it up if she felt like it. She had about a thousand street miles in at the time with many hours of dirt riding as a kid. The temptation is there and being young, she had to hear the high speed stories from her "expert" riding friends, and I figured we could get that by the way by just doing it, then get back to learning how to really ride.

We have a tunnel in Pittsburgh that's 1.1 miles, two lanes in one direction, perfect concrete, well lit, and often empty late at night. No cars, no cross traffic, no wildlife issues. We were out, had just heard some more triple digit stories, and so I told her that on the way home, if the tunnel was empty, go ahead and open it up if she felt like it. Well, the EX-500 will do 120 and she did it. She also realized how there was absolutely nothing to it from a skill requirement but could be a handful if something happened requiring a quick stop. The lesson was learned, the bragging rights satisfied, and we got back to anticipating traffic, looking through the corner, light on the bars, etc. etc. It was interesting to hear her tell one of her friends that going fast, straight, is really nothing but could really suck if you hit something. I think she got the point.

I'm not really recommending it but for her personality, it worked.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
Funny you posted that but I actually did suggest to my daughter to open it up if she felt like it. She had about a thousand street miles in at the time with many hours of dirt riding as a kid. The temptation is there and being young, she had to hear the high speed stories from her "expert" riding friends, and I figured we could get that by the way by just doing it, then get back to learning how to really ride.

We have a tunnel in Pittsburgh that's 1.1 miles, two lanes in one direction, perfect concrete, well lit, and often empty late at night. No cars, no cross traffic, no wildlife issues. We were out, had just heard some more triple digit stories, and so I told her that on the way home, if the tunnel was empty, go ahead and open it up if she felt like it. Well, the EX-500 will do 120 and she did it. She also realized how there was absolutely nothing to it from a skill requirement but could be a handful if something happened requiring a quick stop. The lesson was learned, the bragging rights satisfied, and we got back to anticipating traffic, looking through the corner, light on the bars, etc. etc. It was interesting to hear her tell one of her friends that going fast, straight, is really nothing but could really suck if you hit something. I think she got the point.

I'm not really recommending it but for her personality, it worked.
I hate to say it, but I was really stupid when I first got it. Don't get me wrong, I feared and respected the bike completely, but like you mentioned, the temptation is just too great. Coming back to base late at night on a road that leads to the front gate which stretches about 4-5 miles, I gassed it and completely opened it up. I hit about 145-150...couldn't really tell because my adrenaline was pumping so hard(my first time driving anything above 100 mph). After the high came down and I started thinking, I thought to myself how f*cked I would be if a deer walked out into the road, or hit the slightest bump, etc... After that, I didn't go that fast until I felt comfortable with the bike. Funny when you look back on things and realize that it wasn't the brightest thing to do.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode