Stops and rear view mirrors - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Exclamation Stops and rear view mirrors

There's a few new riders around here, so I'll post that last season I got rear-ended by an SUV at a stoplight when he thought I should've blown through (I'm pretty law-abiding). Suffice it to say, a rear view mirror check saved (probably) my life, and certainly my bike because I could act logically given my circumstances.

Anyway, I bring this up because I saw this thread and am not too sure about the pictures. It seems the laws of physics defy any explanation, but there's an argument on a car enthusiast site with some bits of a plausible explanation.

1) Is it real, or is it photo-chopped?
2) Watch your rear when you're stopped!!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Some days are like this.

I know a few riders who will get to a red light and put the bike into neutral and chill out. I used to think this was okay until I took the MSF and learned the importance of paying attention to your surroundings and being ready to move.

When you come to a red light, keep your bike in first, pay attention to traffic, scan your rearview mirrors and always leave yourself wiggle room in case you have to move out of the way of a cage quickly.

There's a reason this is taught in the MSF, and I know that there are a few riders on this board that can attest to this saving their lives.

Oh, and kan: it's real, I think it was Dad on here that provided an explanation as to how it could have happened.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicerke
I know a few riders who will get to a red light and put the bike into neutral and chill out. I used to think this was okay until I took the MSF and learned the importance of paying attention to your surroundings and being ready to move.

When you come to a red light, keep your bike in first, pay attention to traffic, scan your rearview mirrors and always leave yourself wiggle room in case you have to move out of the way of a cage quickly.

There's a reason this is taught in the MSF, and I know that there are a few riders on this board that can attest to this saving their lives.

Oh, and kan: it's real, I think it was Dad on here that provided an explanation as to how it could have happened.
I know that I was guilty of doing the same thing. I used to put my bike in neutral, put my arms up on the tank and lean over top of them and just hang out until the lights changed. I never knew how important it was until they explained why NOT to do that... I think the MSF course is definitely a must.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 04:56 PM

The above one of the cage on the bike is with a badly injured rider.

I have had more rear endings be I in my cage or on my m/c then all the other accidents put togeather.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 05:59 PM

My friend recently was driving in his Civic, and he was stopped, waiting for traffic to clear so he could make a left hand turn. Some dick with his girlfriend in the car rear ended him doing 50mph, sending my friend flying into the incoming traffic. He barely managed to dodge an 18 wheeler. No serious injuries to anyone, but both cars are totalled and my friend just found out that the teenager doesn't even have insurance. That's a year's license suspension and fines..his mom wants to settle out of court, however.

Anyway, that was a car being rear-ended...if my friend had been on a bike he'd probably be dead (although hopefully he would have been more alert).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 11:21 PM

I leave my bike in 1st and flash my brakelight if it's at night, all while i keep an eye on my mirror. Though after a car has safely stopped behind me I sometimes put it in neutral and relax a bit more.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:38 AM

Another suggestion is not to stop in the middle of your lane. If you stop closer to the edge of the lane it allows drivers room to miss you if they would have rear ended you, lets you see traffic behind better (you look back in the lane instead of at your elbows), and lines you up to shoot up between lanes if cars are stopped ahead of you and you neeed to move to avoid being rear ended.

Or just move to California and lane split to the head of the light and remove any opportunity to be rear ended!! Works for me. In fact when I leave California I'll probably still pull in between cars/lanes to avoid being rear ended and if it pisses people off I'll explain how many times I've been rear ended in my car and how it AIN'T happening on the bike.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 04:37 AM

Rear End

A friend of mine was told on an advanced riding course in the UK that you should never stop in a queue of traffic or at a red light.

It was suggested that when you see a line of queued traffic or a stop signal you slow to a speed before you reach the obstuction which allows you to keep moving, the theory is that when you reach the point where the traffic or obstuction is, its not actually there any more. While doing this you keep looking in your mirrors and if it looks like someone is about to ram you, you have room in front of you to accelerate and avoid the prick!

I see the theory and logic behind this but I don't think it would work in practice, car drivers would be trying to over or undertake me when slowing for a stop light!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:03 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
Another suggestion is not to stop in the middle of your lane. If you stop closer to the edge of the lane it allows drivers room to miss you if they would have rear ended you, lets you see traffic behind better (you look back in the lane instead of at your elbows), and lines you up to shoot up between lanes if cars are stopped ahead of you and you neeed to move to avoid being rear ended.

Or just move to California and lane split to the head of the light and remove any opportunity to be rear ended!! Works for me. In fact when I leave California I'll probably still pull in between cars/lanes to avoid being rear ended and if it pisses people off I'll explain how many times I've been rear ended in my car and how it AIN'T happening on the bike.
Stopping in the middle of the lane is a bad idea anyway because that's where all the oil is.

I do miss splitting traffic, but I still don't miss California.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus

You mean it is actually legal to lane split in California?

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode