Had the SV for a while, whats next? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Had the SV for a while, whats next?

Hey everyone, a friend of mine locally told me about this site a few weeks ago and i've been trolling around a bit to see whats going on and it seems pretty sweet. Anyway, I've been riding my SV650 for 1 1/2 seasons now, and summer is upon us. I was thinking about moving on to a newer, faster bike this riding season, but i dont really know what to look into. The SV is fun for me (Im 6'2 200lbs) but when my g/f tries to ride anywhere on it with me, its a dog (she only weighs like 105 too). I wanna get something thats not too over the top, but still with plenty of power. I'm really happy with the quality of the suzuki, so naturally my first option was to look at gixxers. I started just looking into 600's to keep the cost down, but soon realized that i would get bored with that just as i have been getting with my SV. Now i have started looking at 750's and even 1000's. Some advice would be really helpful. Even other brands. I've heard from some that the years and models im looking at i would do best with a Yamaha or a Suzuki. I also would really like something fuel injected as opposed to carburated. So pretty much im open to any suggestions of Inline bikes that are from 750-1000cc that would be good for a novice rider (i dont use beginner since i have ridden for a while, but not experienced because i've only been riding for a little over 1 season). Some other things i would look for in a bike is the brakes and suspension geometry. I want something fun to ride in sharp corners. Also something that is nice and "flickable", something easy to throw into a corner and it will pleasantly supprise you. So what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 06:07 AM

Well with only one riding season in ... in my opinion you should stay well away from the GSXR 1000. And yes sorry to say you are still a beginner. I have been riding for 14 years and I just bought my first 1000CC sportbike 3 years ago, it takes lots of time and experience to tame a bike of that much power and the experience of knowing what not to do and knowing your own limits and not being stupid! As far as the 600's they are much more powerful than you probably give them credit for, many have Horsepower output above 100 which is plenty to move you and your girl down the road. I remember being at a dealership last summer and this guy was looking for his "First Bike" and was looking at the Busa.... and his exact words were.. "I want enough power"... I was like you have no idea what you are talking about(idiot)... hmm beginner on a Busa (I'm referring to the Suzuki Hayabusa) I don't think so. I tried to tell him it was not a good idea and if if valued his life he should start on something much smaller... lets say a 450 Night Hawk..haha. Have you actually ridden a late model 600 sportbike and not just your 650SV?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I started just looking into 600's to keep the cost down, but soon realized that i would get bored with that just as i have been getting with my SV
A new gsxr 600 and an SV are night and day. Don't let the cc's fool you. It will take years of ridding to run a 600 R bike(ie..600rr, gsxr 600, r6, 636rr) to it's full potential. The inline 600 does like rpms, but as long as you keep the revs at a nice mid level and up, you will have no problem with a passanger. Comfort is a different story. My wife hates riding 2 up with me on my gsxr and I can't blame her. Just because it comes with a back seat option does not mean the bike was designed for 2 riders.

Last edited by oldgixxerguy; 05-26-2004 at 06:45 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:22 AM

Unfortunately when you say light & flickable then you sort of loose out when you look at 750 to larger.

Why not take a look at some of the larger bikes by Honda in the 900 class & not the latest 1000 for in my mind that is out of line as is the GSXR1000----both far to pitched forward riding position as we are NOT road racing when on the whys & in town.

Or look at the Yamaha FZ1 as the dual saddle offers the g/f a far, far more comfortable riding position & the bike has nice mid to high revs. Some chaps have obtained the FZ1 as a 2nd or 3rd or 4th bike (yes to their other bikes meaning they have the bucks to own more then one bike) mainly for the comfort of riding it & for the g/friend's pleasure in riding position.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:31 AM

I would really like someone to explain how the GSXR 750 is not flickable. I have ridden 600's and they seem to feel about the same in the twisties as my 750.....I say about the same, they just lack the power the 750 has.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:34 AM

try a kawi z1000. the engine is relativly mild below 7krpm, powerband is wide, sit is comfy for a sportbike. its not nearly as easy to turn as a 600, but the wide bars make up for the added mass.

or you could of course simply go for a sv1000, which are plenty able bikes that are lots of fun, without being peaky.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

dignityy: yeah, i dont consider myself an experienced rider by any means. I have ridden and raced dirtbikes since i was in 6th grade which gave me a little taste of what it is like. I know that is also another night and day comparison, but its not like when i got on my SV the first time i would have asked "which one is the clutch"

I have never ridden a 1000cc inline bike. I did have the chance to ride a 750 around a parking lot even before i owned the SV and it seemed quite torquey for an inline.

oldgixxerguy: I wouldnt doubt that the SV and GSXR are a night and day difference. But is 600cc going to be enough for my girlfriend and I no matter what? Like if i have to get out of the way in a hurry, will it pick up enough to get us both moving? Also, I dont plan on her riding all the time with me, just rare occasions. Hell, she probably wont even be found on the bike with me outside of the neighborhood this season. I would rather take a while to learn the bike and be safer since the riding characteristics change so much with a passenger.

Smitty: So is the riding position of Gixxers very uncomfortable? And the Hondas have a nicer one?

And I really dont want another bike that isnt fully faired. I know its probably an option for the FZ1 as it is with my SV, but I would really like to get something like the CBR or the GSXR. As insensitive as it may sound, her comfort isnt my first concern when picking a bike. If we were going to use it more often for going places, then maybe i'd be worried about it a bit more, but since she will only be riding with me once every couple weeks, its not that big of a deal. I just want the power to handle us.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
try a kawi z1000. the engine is relativly mild below 7krpm, powerband is wide, sit is comfy for a sportbike. its not nearly as easy to turn as a 600, but the wide bars make up for the added mass.

or you could of course simply go for a sv1000, which are plenty able bikes that are lots of fun, without being peaky.
i've looked into the SV1000's. I havent had a chance to ride one, but i just really want an inline. I think im going to look for bikes less then 1000cc (meaning no 1000cc bikes, only ones less then 1000cc) and at least 750cc since those seem to be the good compromise between displacement and handling.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 12:19 PM

Well bottlerocket I misundestood your desires & assumed the g/f was going to be on the bike often.

Some of the different makes of Jpn bikes will give a comfortable riding position, but then some are to extreme into the road racing form to where when amongst traffic one feels the strain on their neck of trying to see around ESPECIALLY when in town.

I said NO to the latest Honda CB 1000 for it has taken away the comfortable riding position of the prior 929 & 954 bikes & put on into an extreme lean forward riding postion & it is NOT an easy bike to handle nor is the GSXR1000 on the road or hwy.

All I can suggest is when looking at a bike sit on it, lean into the bars with at least one foot up and ASK yourself "Can I ride like this continually for a 6 hr stretch". Still what the heck possibly you are not a hwy rider that clocks 4 to 6 hrs each day on the hwy, as I do.

So the choice is yours. You know more about m/cs now then you did at the start.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

My commute to work is about 1hr round trip depending on traffic. But i still ride the crap out of my SV. I dont beat it to death, but i ride it ALOT. I love being on 2 wheels. I ride it for hours some nights because its so relaxing and enjoyable. Im about to go to a dealership and check out an '03 R6 to see how that feels on me. Looks like a pretty sharp bike.

Also, how is the output of the 600cc bikes? like how much does it vary? Will a Gixxer make alot more power then a Kawasaki, or is it just going to be 3 or 4 hp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode