Honda 919 too much for a newb? (I promised myself I'd never do this) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Honda 919 too much for a newb? (I promised myself I'd never do this)

Sorry for another one of these posts guys.

I took the MSF course months ago and bought myself an 83 GPz550 to learn on. I love the bike and have logged about 350 miles on the streets of Los Angeles (some canyons, some cummuting during rush hour, some riding down to the beach).

Recently, I've gotten the bug to buy something new and shiny. I want to venture further, but I'm worried about my GPz's making it to Santa Barbara or beyond.

Of course I'm looking at an SV650. They're pretty and they make those lovely V Twin sounds, but over in the corner, I see a honda 919. Oh dear, I'm in love. It fits (the 599 is too small for my 6'3" 210lbs frame), its understated and sexy. Best of all, Its naked.

My question is, even though I've read that the "Hornet 900"s tend to be docile, will a new 919 be too much for my newb rear end to deal with? Am I being all squidly? Should I just buy the SV?

Thanks for reading y'all. I welcome ALL thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:49 AM

I'd log a few more miles before I made the step if I were you. 350 miles is a good weekend for me. Shiny new things are great (although the 919 is flat black, isn't it?), except when you dump it over doing something silly (and we all do it) Buy the 919 at the end of the season...that way you have more riding experience, and you get a better deal...jm
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 04:03 PM

Rick is right. I clocked a bit above that to-day & around half way through it was rain. Dry & wet riding, seeing RCMP all over the place, & various weather conditions in these mtn roads did slow me down a bit. Mind you some tight twisties going up when dry were good, but coming down with the rain really hitting was not to my liking plus finding a lot of city (I had to ride through) newly painted road signs were something to watch out for.

So try to get more hrs, milage, & experience on the 550 before you jump for the big one. Believe me that experience is what you are lacking.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:42 AM
jab

Yeah I agree, 350 miles is a good days riding for me. My 01 r6 has a little over 16,000 miles on it and thats with putting it away for two of the four winters ive owned it. My would be to keep riding and log some hours, learn the bike. I mean if your spending 90% of your time in the twisties at 20% or less throttle, (which I bet you are) why get a faster bike so you can ride it at 10%??? At 350 miles your not riding the bike, the bikes giving you a ride . That being said I started on an overpowered bike and Im still here so whatever you chose, good luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 05:36 AM

Re: Honda 919 too much for a newb? (I promised myself I'd never do this)

Quote:
Originally posted by CafeRacer
...some cummuting during rush hour...

I'm curious, is it really safe to play w/ yourself while riding? I mean, I've done it while driving my car, who hasn't, but while riding...that's just plain reckless. Do you take your glove off or leave it on? I could imagine there would be a lot of chaffing if you were to leave the glove on, but maybe one of those soft calf-skin gloves would feel nice. And what about cleanup? Do you leave it on your tank or when you're about to bust do you pull a stunt, stand up on your seat, and let the mayonnaise fly? Man, I'd hate to be driving behind you when that happens!

Well, now that I think about it, if you're riding 2-up and your passenger were to give you the reacharound that would solve some of the safety concerns, but still, what about cleanup?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 06:46 AM

lol just leave it there rofl, i have been informed by many people that the sv 650 was a decent starters bike so with a little experience under your belt you shouldnt have much trouble
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:12 AM

I can see your point in wondering if the '87 bike will be good for longer milage or as trouble free, bar normal maintence, compared to a new bike. That is always a good point.

Still clock some more milage on the bike for, as you can see your grant total is far shorter then what many of us have & in some cases that is a one day or week-end trip to some of us. Then take
a look at the two bikes.

Personally each spring I feel the first week or two of riding, which would mean around six days of riding 3 to 6 hrs, each day, are the ones in which I am getting back the feel of the bikes I have owned & riden for the past few yrs---for instance my '97 Yamaha YZF600r & '00 Honda 929 both bought new by myself. So after riding both bikes said time I am into feeling back at home on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode