What to tell squids? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

What to tell squids?

What do you say to a squid that argue with you about how he can handle all that an 04 literbike has to offer? I'm just annoyed by those comments because I know most people can't even use 50% of a modern day 600 supersport's capability. Then they went on and tell me they need the power to do stunts?! Something about how he need those power to do highchair and all those hooliganism?! Even later, they try to change their arguement and say that they're saying you don't have to be able to use all the capability of an 04 literbike to buy one, while they whole arguement was based on how they NEED the power of an 04 literbike.

Sorry, I'm just pissed off at all them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:42 PM

There isn't anything you can really say to them. Once they have there mind made up, thats what there going to do. Your best bet would be to get them to do the stunts in a safe place away from people where they can hurt somebody else.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 09:05 PM

Just ignore their BS.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 05:26 AM

Re: What to tell squids?

Quote:
Originally posted by AirKnight
What do you say to a squid that argue with you about how he can handle all that an 04 literbike has to offer? I'm just annoyed by those comments because I know most people can't even use 50% of a modern day 600 supersport's capability. Then they went on and tell me they need the power to do stunts?! Something about how he need those power to do highchair and all those hooliganism?! Even later, they try to change their arguement and say that they're saying you don't have to be able to use all the capability of an 04 literbike to buy one, while they whole arguement was based on how they NEED the power of an 04 literbike.

Sorry, I'm just pissed off at all them
Why do you waste so much energy arguing with these guys? It seems they are set on their decisions regardless of the reasons. It seems to be bothering you so much, I tend to wonder, could it be jealousy? Go out and get urself and 04' then, and if someone gives YOU a hard time, just ignore em.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

It just pisses me off when squids think that the latest and greates will make them a better rider.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 06:19 AM

I had a frustrating experience with a squid recently. Of course, in Nashville, the squids are usually rednecks too, which is very funny. I love listening to them talk about bikes with that accent (don't get me wrong, I like southern accents, just not uneducated southern accents). So I was at the dealership sitting on a GORGEOUS sliver and black '04 R6. I mean, this may be the prettiest bike I've ever seen and would love to own one just to put it on a pedestal in my house and have another one to ride.

So anyway, this guy, this redneck guy, is sitting on a red and white R1. I say, "They're beautiful bikes, aren't they?" He just kind of looks at me.

I continue, "I love the way this R6 looks. This would be a great bike to own."

He replies, "I'd rather have the R1"

And I say, "Yeah, but the R1 is the kind of bike that you die instantaneously (my mistake using the bike word) when you sit on it."

And he says the most squidly thing. "Well, if I'm gonna die it's gonna be on something full power, not some weak engined 600."

Well, he's probably right, I guess.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Dad

I understand your frustration but suggest that there's really nothing you can do outside of politely making strong suggestions for the use of gear and discouraging the stunting and antics in traffic or in clusters of other bikes. You may not feel you're getting through but avoiding being too judgemental or high and mighty, yet consistant in your message, you may help some of them to see it, especially as they hang long enough to witness other's problems caused by their squidliness.

I cringe when I see the exposed skin, no helmet, especially on a passenger, and very high speed stunts on the interstates. It hasn't a THING to do with jealousy but EVERYTHING to do with knowing what happens when the shit hits the fan which it inevitably does. The statistics on the life expectancy of a sportbike, underscored by the insurance rates on them or lists of companies who flat out refuse to even write them, are bleak and the squids are the biggest contributors to those statistics.

One thing you can do is choose not to ride with them, a good choice BTW, and take consolation in knowing that they don't often last on the scene for more than a few years. Between wrecked bikes, suspended licenses, and no insurance available, they often are out of it in a few years. They can also become bored out of it, scared out of it after witnessing or being involved in a few of the gorey mishaps, quit when they discover that most women aren't impressed with their childishness, forming lines to have their "bebes", or they grow out of it and either quit from the lack of interest in just riding OR, a very few will settle down and become very good riders for a lifetime. Unfortunately, it's a cycle that has to run its course for some. If you do ride with them, keep BIG.... and I mean BIG as in HUGE distance, as parts, bikes, and bodies can go everywhere when the shit hits the fan and it's surprisingly easy to become entangled in their mess.

These are observations from years of observing the scene. Every season there is a whole new crop of "magazine jockeys", full of the statistics that are written in every bike magazine that espouse the wonderfullness of the latest crop of rockets, using hyperbole that the article's own data will argue away, and these guys buy it, then the bike, and don't have even a HINT that it will take years of practice to get even close to the performance that ANY good rider can get out of a 500cc bike made in the last 10 years, and many bikes older than that..... unless it's wheelies. The really good riders can get that out of the older bikes too but often choose not to as it tends to prove nothing, at least in their eyes. They have long ago lost any real desire to do wheelies as they realize that they're not really hard to do or as interesting as riding the bike to handle well, the real long term challenge and long term source of enjoyment that sportbikes offer. While that's JMO, it's also an opinion resulting from decades of observing the sport and not just conjecture.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 05-19-2004 at 06:43 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 09:02 AM

I do one of two things....

A) Shake my head, snicker a little, and walk away.

or

B) Roll my eyes, snicker a little, and walk away.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 11:45 AM

I just start twitching really bad and tell them that ever since I became a serial killer, I start losing control of basic muscle movement until I get to kill someone else.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 11:45 AM

Thanks Dad. I couldn't have said it better, I have been riding something with 2 wheels since 4 when I got my 50cc. And I've never acted too crazy on bikes. After all I'm still alive But Really I don't ride even remotely as crazy as alot of people do around here that have only been riding for a few months, they are all selling their 600's to buy 1000's or are getting out either from boredom, or fear.

I think the 600 that I just purchased will be plenty and sooo much more than I need for the way I ride.

Although, I must say that I like literbike or bigger in cruisers, although that really isn't the same thing, just a weee bit of performance difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode