Your full coverage insurance per year? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: What does your insurance cost per year?
0-200 20 14.71%
201-500 44 32.35%
501-1000 37 27.21%
1001-1500 18 13.24%
1501+ 17 12.50%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Your full coverage insurance per year?

I am just wanting to get an idea what my fellow riders are paying per year in insurance with a poll. So I have some comparisons to do with bikes and age.

Mine is right around 1000 per year on a 600cc sportbike, and I am wandering how you guys are getting it cheaper. I've checked everywhere.

Last edited by Raimey7; 05-18-2004 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Some days are like this.

spicersh and I have one bike left out of three

current: 2002 Buell Blast - $19/mo for 50/100 with State Farm, both of us are 26, clean driving records, policy in Indiana.

had: 2000 Honda F4 - $32/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, both of us were 25, I had one speeding ticket, policy in California.
This bike was also insured in IN - $30/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, spicersh only at 22, clean driving record.

had: 2002 Honda XX - $38/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, both of us were 24, I had one speeding ticket, policy in California.

We initially had the Buell listed with Harley-Davidson Insurance and they were charging us $75/month for 15/30!

If you currently have an auto/reters/homeowners with State Farm, I would give them a call and see what they can do for you for motorcycle insurance. If you have no policies, don't bother calling as they will not write a stand-alone policy for motorcycles.

We have auto, renters, personal line and motorcycle with them, so we get quite a few discounts on premiums (multi-line, muti-car, good driver and longevity).

HTH

~spicerke

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:53 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by spicerke
spicersh and I have one bike left out of three

current: 2002 Buell Blast - $19/mo for 50/100 with State Farm, both of us are 26, clean driving records, policy in Indiana.

had: 2000 Honda F4 - $32/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, both of us were 25, I had one speeding ticket, policy in California.
This bike was also insured in IN - $30/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, spicersh only at 22, clean driving record.

had: 2002 Honda XX - $38/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, both of us were 24, I had one speeding ticket, policy in California.

We initially had the Buell listed with Harley-Davidson Insurance and they were charging us $75/month for 15/30!

If you currently have an auto/reters/homeowners with State Farm, I would give them a call and see what they can do for you for motorcycle insurance. If you have no policies, don't bother calling as they will not write a stand-alone policy for motorcycles.

We have auto, renters, personal line and motorcycle with them, so we get quite a few discounts on premiums (multi-line, muti-car, good driver and longevity).

HTH

~spicerke
What she said.

I'm glad she put this down because I didn't want to have to type it all out yet again. You might try doing a search as this has been covered many many times over. Almost as frequently asked as "What bike for a new rider?"

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh

I'm glad she put this down because I didn't want to have to type it all out yet again.
More like: I pay the bills and you have no idea how much insurance is!!!!

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

hehe, right now I use farmers insurance, which won't even cover sportbikes anymore, and to get a standalone insurance from anybody else is insane 1000-1500.

I Just got a business card from a state farm worker near to my home, I may give them a call and see what an insurance quote would be for everything I own.

Which would be a homeowners, 3 cars, 3 motorcycles. Some of this I inherited when I got married.

So hopefully that will help a ton.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:00 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Raimey7
hehe, right now I use farmers insurance, which won't even cover sportbikes anymore, and to get a standalone insurance from anybody else is insane 1000-1500.

I Just got a business card from a state farm worker near to my home, I may give them a call and see what an insurance quote would be for everything I own.

Which would be a homeowners, 3 cars, 3 motorcycles. Some of this I inherited when I got married.

So hopefully that will help a ton.
As far as motorcycles go, I've yet to see anyone who beat State Farm. IF you hold other policies with them. Hope it goes well!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 07:35 AM

Talking

$636 per year State Farm Stand-Alone

$25K/$50k Injury
$50K Property
$10K/$20K Uninsured/Underinsured

One accident a couple of years ago (deemed my fault, in a cage) and one ticket for a seatbelt (No points, again in a cage)

State Farm is clearly the most reasonable if you can get it. The agent wasn't sure if they were still writing bike stand-alone policies. He told me that it depended on your driving record, age, etc. He also said it helped that I have a clean and clear CDL. I've used Progressive and looked at GEICO. Progressive was reasonable a couple of years ago ($1000~ for full coverage) but my last renewal with them I dropped the full coverage (low funds) and they wanted $1400 just for BASIC coverage.

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

“Next time I want to borrow your balls, I’LL ASK!!!!”
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 03:14 PM

I have State Farm and pay less than $450/year for full coverage with personal injury protection (PIP) on my Ninja.

A lot of factors play into how much you pay: sex, age, marital status, location, make and model of bike, driving history, deductible, etc. Some offer discounts for the MSF course, but note that the discount isn't on the total premium, it's usually on the collision portion only. In the above scenario I wouldn't be saving $67.50/year with a 15% discount, but more like $25.

I could cut my premium in half if I didn't take the PIP, which means that in an accident that was my fault, they wouldn't pay for my medical expenses. Not a risk I'm willing to take despite the fact that I have decent health insurance; I don't want to mediate a fight between the two, I've been down that road before, but that's another story.

Last edited by hapster; 05-19-2004 at 03:16 PM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys!!!

I went and got a quote on my house and cars with my sportbike, instead of approx $1000 a year it is now down to $219 a year,

And my house insurance went down $100 a year as well.

Cheers and thanks to all.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Some days are like this.

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode