Moronic Driver Phenomenon. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Moronic Driver Phenomenon.

Hey,

Is it just me, or when you ride your M/C (as opposed to driving a car) do you notice LESS idiotic drivers? Well, I do. It's like night and day; when I am riding my bike I notice VERY few bad drivers in cars, whereas when I am driving a car, I notice a whole friggin TON of bad drivers (people cutting other people off, no blinker, etc.). Anyone else observe this phenomenon?

...maybe it's just because I am going faster than all the morons when riding my bike.

--Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:16 PM

The very opposit in my case. Cages & m/cs do not jive & a rider notices it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:28 PM

Much less stupid people but yes, I tend to be well ahead of the pack when riding so I see fewer cars. Have noticed one thing though, all the cars tend to drive faster when I'm on my bike.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

That's how I thought it was supposed to be Smitty, 'tis why I am confused, because one would think that on a motorcycle you would notice MORE bad drivers because you are more alert.

And Vigis, I think they are trying to keep up with you.

...I dunno, maybe I notice less bad drivers because I am in a better mood when riding my bike.... I've grown to dislike driving a car.

--Scott
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 04:58 AM

I think on the MC you are more alert to problems and other people. This may be what you are encountering. When you are in the cage you are less on your game, so things pop up faster (to your perception), but you have more time to react since you won't be dropping your car in the process of a full stop.

I think the part about enjoying yourself and being in a great mood may effect perception as well.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:26 AM

Re: Moronic Driver Phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF3
Hey,

Is it just me, or when you ride your M/C (as opposed to driving a car) do you notice LESS idiotic drivers? Well, I do. It's like night and day; when I am riding my bike I notice VERY few bad drivers in cars, whereas when I am driving a car, I notice a whole friggin TON of bad drivers (people cutting other people off, no blinker, etc.). Anyone else observe this phenomenon?

...maybe it's just because I am going faster than all the morons when riding my bike.

--Scott

It seems to be the opposite for me as well. I have some cagers do some fucking stupid things like pull out in front of me and do 20 mph, weaving into me while on a four lane highway. tailgating the fuck out of me in heavy traffic and other assholic things. I had these dumbasses the other day blow through a stop sign and right in front me. I was sure to blare my horn at them but that didn't stop them and instead they flipped me off and laughed. The laughter stopped at the upcoming red light though when I started kicking the piss out of there rear light.

I am back!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vigis
Much less stupid people but yes, I tend to be well ahead of the pack when riding so I see fewer cars. Have noticed one thing though, all the cars tend to drive faster when I'm on my bike.
Thats true of a bike, or a cage that is flying by a group of cars. If you pay attention you will notice that many times people will speed up. I don't know if this is people's competitive nature, or they figure if that guy can get away with it so can I. I have actually had the occasion of passing a slow moving car, and they will speed up offended that I am passing them. In one occassion the jerk did this with cars approaching me coming in the oppisite direction. I would'nt back down so it turned into a race, but I cut the sucker off at the last minute.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 01:06 PM

Good example would be on a 5 hr run to-day when there was this 5th wheel & behind it a normal cage. Single lane on north side, but passing lane on my sourth side.

Stupid cage decides to pass the 5-wheel NOT realizing they tend to pick up speed when going down-hill. So I'm a good distance behind on the passing & can only assume the cage driver was stupid or had seen me.

Of all darn things he cuts back into the slow lane TO FAST & to close to the 5th wheel who locked up some of his wheels so as to not hit the cage. Now here are your stupid cage drivers when one is on the hwy. Or will hug the fast lane at to slow a speed as this twit was doing.

No matter how fast I am riding I hit the slow lane & when it comes to passing, THEN I do a shoulder check, clear & then I swing out to scoot by the cage(s) & once I am WELL past them will I again swing back in again even if no one is travelling faster then myself.

Way to many people feel(?) the FAST or PASSING line is for them to ride/drive on no matter what & if you are travelling faster or want to pass then you must take the SLOW lane-----they simply do not realize they are in the wrong.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 05:54 PM

"Way to many people feel(?) the FAST or PASSING line is for them to ride/drive on no matter what & if you are travelling faster or want to pass then you must take the SLOW lane-----they simply do not realize they are in the wrong."

For sure. #1 highway rant right there. This is only bad when there is traffic impeding you obviously, when it is midnight and someone is cruising the left lane on a 3-laner, I am more than happy to pass them two lanes away and leave them in wonderland and thinking about how "fast" they must be going to have the whole fast lane to themselves.

Sometimes it seems that the right lane and on-off ramp areas are the real fastlane on my local highways, when I am moving in medium traffic with left and middle lane losers doing the same as the cars in the normal, non passing lanes. It all works out ok on the bike, as long as the traffic isn't tight, just pass-em where you can. In my 2.5L truck though, this isn't the case, and I have to get in line with all of the other losers!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 09:33 PM

Well to carry on with the last part of my ride to-day. For I am turning left from Hyy 97 with a green light, into town.

Now said road in/out of town is really for only two way traffic, but they have it with one lane going out (along with a Yield right turn onto hwy no matter what light ---& I will not tell you have often I have nearly ran into the rear of same cage as so many feel they should halt).

While two going into town. Many hold onto the fast lane for they will want to turn left into the small mall due to a major grocery strore, a greasy spoon joint, several other food places, clothing stores, etc., & some just pass the mall lot will have this left turn up the hill to their homes.

So I have taken the slow right lane for some 6-10 blocks farther along is a 4-way crossing & I usually shift into that lane a bit later for at the 4-way crossing I will turn left & start to head closer to home.

Thing is the cage to my left (the fast lane) suddenly decides to turn into my slow lane --I point the bike to the curb & hit the anchors to where I am in like Obseved Trials of a "feet up" position yet said cage driver never did see me & would you believe it, but that they to wanted to stop & turn at the 4-way crossing.

So YES I find cage drivers are dangerous when I am riding a m/c--you will also once you have some 3 to 10 yrs of riding under your belt & some hair tales to tell, especially if you are riding with them 3 to 4 times a week(of something like 4 to 6 hrs each time) in the riding season & not a short blip down to a doenut joint or to & from work with a short blip on a few week-ends..

__
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode