Chain and Rear Sprocket - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Chain and Rear Sprocket

i want to add 2 teeth to my rear sprocket, but im wondering if i need a new chain to do that? if so, i have no idea what type of chain to get, im new at this. ive noticed there is O rings and X rings which means nothing to me. can someone tell me what i would need for a chain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:33 AM

First off, why do you want to add teeth to your rear sprocket? Are you looking for more acceleration? The expense of this acceleration is going to be the engine will have to run faster for the same speed as before the new sprocket. Next I doubt that you will actually feel that big of a difference, we're talking about maybe 5%, assuming that your rear sprocket is somewhere around 40 teeth in the first place.

Next, no you probably won't need another chain, the sprocket will have a slightly larger circumference, meaning you will have to retune the chain tightness for a slightly smaller distance between the front and rear sprockets. I would try it on your old chain before you purchase a new one, just to make sure.

However, just as a side note, replacing the chain isn't expensive and is a good thing to do every so often. I would recommend getting an o-ring chain when you do, there are lots listed on ebay for about $50.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 01:27 PM

To help you sample this idea out & to keep the price low. Simply buy a drive sprocket one tooth less & that is around 1.5 added to the rear, no new chain, & no changes.

In that way you can feel what the bike is like being geared a bit lower. Good chance the speedo will not read correctly unless it comes off the front wheel. Engine will be forced to work harder for each mile & will gobble up more fuel. Still what I have offered you is a less costly way to sort of feels things out.

I did that on a Suzy GSXR-750 some yrs ago & then went back to stock though buyer was happy to receive said sprocket, the Kevlar f/brake lines, & the solo saddle & the additional dual saddle bit. Thing is within two weeks he had totalled the bike & in the hospital with injuries as he T-boned a cage & HE was in the wrong & speeding in town!!!!!!!!!

To think of the good results I had out of the bike along with care for 9 yrs & then the above by someone that did not know how to ride properly as he was an ex-rider of some 400cc twin. Obviously the bike was to much for him as it is in many cases as the 2nd bike a rider will buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode