books? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

books?

I was curious if anyone knew of any good books I could read about riding (on and off the track) that would help me with my skills when I can't ride (which isn't often here in socal).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 05:43 PM

Go to amazon and check up on them.

I bought Total Control by Lee Parks which is pretty thorough off-track (for the most part) riding. It is mid-level imo, has a wide level of skills for most riders to get something from. The thing I learned the most from it was looking through turns. That has increased my cornering speed by ~25% in most situations and has pretty much eliminated braking before turns while riding on the street.

"Sportbike Performance Handbook" is the best m/c book I have come across to date, though it is not about riding, just mechanics, mods mostly. Worth the money very much so IMO.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 06:49 PM

• For a beginning rider, the top of the list has to be MSF's Motorcycling Excellence. The philosophy and approach are similar to their course curriculum, but there's a lot more detail. A new edition is due in a couple of months, so wait if you can.
  • With a good understanding of the basics, David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling are next. His style is sometimes a little corny, but Hough's books are the best available on general riding technique.
  • Hough's Street Strategies is a must too. The book is compiled from his Motorcycle Consumer News column of the same title. Each of the 50 or so entries, 200300 words with an illustration, describes a traffic situation and how to handle it. They stand alone, so you open the book to any random page and read. After spending a half-hour reading through a few scenarios a new rider will get the idea that riding isn't as easy as it looks.
  • For sport riding technique, I recommend either Lee Parks' Total Control and Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Technique. Parks is better for less experienced riders because of the way it bridges the gap between riding and sport riding. I think Ienatsch is better for a more advanced sport rider.
  • Hugo Wilson's Motorcycle Owner's Manual is a good overview of the nuts and bolts. He explains both basic theory of operation and maintenance procedures. Even a rider who doesn't plan to work on his own bike should know how to remove wheels, lube the chain, and adjust the controls.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 07:12 AM

Sport Riding Techniques is quite good.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 10:37 AM

This has been mentioned on another forum, but hasnt taken off yet.
What if we started a book club? For the price of shipping and some minor fees you get to check out a book to read it, then send it back later.
I'll donate a copy of sport riding techniques to the club if anyone feels like keeping up with it.

Edited:
Or perhaps, do a you can get a book from the club in exchange for a book you send in.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 02:58 PM

That is a great idea Vash.

I've got "The Motorcycle Performance Handbook" , "Total Control", and "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintanence"(kind of related to working on bikes, I like it a lot).

If it doesn't go through all of the way, I'd at least be interested in a temp. trade for my two books for yours, USPS charges would be around $2.50 each way I beleive for that weight.

Cheers

Jon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 08:01 PM

We covered some good books in this thread

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=44374
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode