One hand or two? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: One hand or two?
Two hands always 9 14.29%
One hand when it's safe to do so 54 85.71%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

One hand or two?

When you're out riding, do you keep both hands on the grips at all times or do you take the left off and rest it on your knee/thigh whenever possible?

When I first started riding, I always kept both hands on at all times. But as I've become more confident in my riding skills, I find that I take the left hand off more and more. I have a riding buddy that sometimes rests his left forearm on the tank, but I think that's a bit extreme.

So, what do you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:32 AM

i use 2 hands 99% of the time. you are on two wheels. any giration in the road that you cannot see poses a hazard. IMO there is really no time when its "safe to do so". things happen too fast. you need to be ready ALL THE TIME.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:24 PM

Both hands & have been doing this for around 58 yrs of riding. Like monkey said you are on two wheels & never know what is going to try & send the front wheel into a dizzy & you on your ear next.

Have seen some jack-asses riding with only one hand & I do have to wonder at the lack of brain matter.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 03:11 PM

I have been known to ride with one hand. And yes, my brain matter started to deteriorate long ago.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I'll ride 1 hand quite a lot. It's a nice rest for the hand, as well as the back. I also have no problem with standing up on the pegs to stretch my legs out.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 06:07 PM

I will tell the truth though. Suddenly I had to scoot from Edmonton down to Calgary Alberta Cdn, back in '49, to see about some "used" m/cs we might pick up at a good price, only my Vincent was in the stages of having a change of forks & really nothing was ready bar an old 350 Royal Enfield, when main owner told me to take his 500 Royal Enfield.

So down there made the deal, made sure the correct bikes were on a truck, time to grab something to eat & head home. Only back was killing me & realized it was the ruddy Flanders bars on the bike & all my weight was on my butt.

In those days one could set the throttle & keep it there with a snugging of a knurled hand adjustment on the drum of the twist grip.

I was doing all sorts of things in riding with one hand to lord knows what ONLY the back was worse. Then I tried it by riding side saddle & leaned forward with elbows/arms on my legs. Try it just lean forward in your chair, put your hands/arms there & the pressure is taken off your back. Now as for the two feet simply cross them with one on the footrest (footpeg to you chaps).

Yes I could take the bike into & out of all bends in this position & clocking probably around 80-85KPH--50-55mph. I know it is stupid, but I was only 19 yrs of age ---- young, crazy, & a good competitor in dirt comp.

It is dark & the yellow glow from the famous Lucas system was normal. Obviously I must have fallen to sleep for there was this terrible blast form a set of air horns that woke me up, I quickly got around to normal riding position as the Greyyound Bus went by.

I was a bit shaken for I still had half of a sandwich in my hand with a bite taken out of it, only it was going dry due to the wind.

Off the bike to calm myself down, tried to ride again & got the shakes so off into the ditch to really relax. Then back to riding home only from then on I rode in the sensible manner.

When I think about it I must have covered around 50+ miles partially asleep in said position.

So in honesty I have not ridden with both hands on the bars all my 57+ yrs & YES often I was a prize twit.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 06:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I will tell the truth though. Suddenly I had to scoot from Edmonton down to Calgary Alberta Cdn, back in '49,
Hey smitty, you ever think of citing an occurence that happend in at least the 90's

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 06:56 PM

I'll tuck my left hand under the wind screen When I'm going really fast, it seems more aerodynamic.
Sometimes I'll ride with no hands but only when it feels right.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Dad

If asked, I'd have to say ALWAYS two hands. In reality, we all take a break sometimes. What to NEVER do, is ride one handed in traffic, near intersections, passing parked cars, or following any vehicle even at a fairly safe following distance. The reaction time isn't nearly as fast as you might think. Anywhere something could surprise you, it eventually will if you do it long enough.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 11:24 AM

Well Tippmann since the 90s I have ONLY been on the roads, & being 60yrs of age by the '90s that would take the childish things out of me. I can go back in time to '45 & tell a lot.

Look at yourself 50 yrs from now & how would you be as a rider & comment on what? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode